Should I get a new hard drive?

ahriik

Solid State Member
I noticed recently that several torrents I have started downloading have stopped due to something called a cyclic redundancy check error. I looked it up, and it is supposed to concern my hard drive. I installed HD Tune and here is what came up on the error scan.

Hard Drive Health | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My hard drive is less than a year old (I bought it new online), so i was a little shocked by this information. Is it possible that I will need a new hard drive soon?

(Note: When I ran an error scan on my hard drive using a quick scan, no errors came up. Could this means the errors shown in the complete scan are insignificant?)

You could try swapping the sata/ide cable for your hard drive sometimes it could be a bad wire or something, but if you still get damaged status then its time to get your stuff backed up quickly and get a new harddrive. Considering its less than a year old you should be able to get your hard drive on warranty, but you will need to back up your files first on what you can grab, otherwise you never know when it will fail again and your data is lost for good.

Get an external and backup your files asap. Once that is done try reformatting the drive to remove the errors (make sure you have all discs for reinstalling everything). Upon doing that check it again for the errors, if there is still problems look into the warranty and get it replaced.

What brand is it, if it is anything other than a Western Digital or an Old Seagate [cause the new ones are cheaply made] than I would get it switched out to one of those brands.
Also are there any sounds coming from the hard drive itself?

I have actually not heard any unusual sounds lately. I am most likely going to purchase a Seagate 400GB 32MB Cache 7200rpm drive to replace this one, and i have started backing up my important data. thanks for the help

No worries and good luck! I myself just lost an external hard drive, thing lasted me years and years but I noticed some fluctuations on the quality of data transmission and was lucky enough to get everything off the literal day before it crashed. I figure better safe than sorry in your case.

Back
Top Bottom