Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-07-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to mr.monger Send a message via Yahoo to mr.monger
Default Re: Should I build a computer?

the reason cheap computers are cheaper is because they cut back on the video card and ram and such. theyre all like " hey look at this a pentium 4 3.2ghz with some ram. only $200 after rebates with a printer!. (small text (does not include a video card and only 256 ram. 40 gig hd and almost no cooling. generic mobo that cant do squat. psu that you cant replace unless we do it 4 u. printer does not actually work.

they can do this because the common man does not understand these things. only us

mr.monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Baseband Member

ya building your own computer is usally alot better then the prebuilt or generic computers and mostly cheaper you can get what fits your needs so you can skip over stuff you dont really need it makes the computer worth a hole lot more if you build it urself u get pride and the satifaction in building it. You also learn alot more then u can read in a hole bunch of books

Old 06-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
Beta Member

Send a message via AIM to maxbimmer05
Cool Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I guess im going to build. What price range am I looking at if I want to have a ton of hard drive space, but I dont care as much about the gaming? and I want a sick networking card.
maxbimmer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:30 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

Well, price? I'd say expect to toss in 700 or 800. And I find that onbaord networking cards work just as well. First off decide if you want a AMD or Intel. Then decide which socket (I hear 939 is the socket to go with for AMD) So find a mobo that supports that socket. Then look at PCI slots, APG or PCI express as well. And make your decision. Try www.newegg.com. WONDERFUL SITE if you want me to design you a comp i'll do it at no charge. Just tell me what you'd like to do with it. And i'll get you everything from the case to the powersupply and get all the links for it. (I have too much time on my hands)
Old 06-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #15
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.monger
the reason cheap computers are cheaper is because they cut back on the video card and ram and such. theyre all like " hey look at this a pentium 4 3.2ghz with some ram. only $200 after rebates with a printer!. (small text (does not include a video card and only 256 ram. 40 gig hd and almost no cooling. generic mobo that cant do squat. psu that you cant replace unless we do it 4 u. printer does not actually work.
Yeah, but you will still save alot of money and have fun adding aftermarket components
Marshillboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

I don't find it fun spending money on a system, then spending more than I probally spent initally upgrading everything. - Thats one reason of the many I've chosen to build my own computer.

As far as designing a list of parts for you, most of us will help you for no problem and when you have your initial list, get ready to change it around. (I changed mine multiple times before I settled on these parts.)

So, your not interested in gaming.. Ok, well that could save you a few bucks on a graphics card and sound card. But, I'd still reccomend getting a substantial amount of RAM. (512-1GB - I reccomend 1GB)

So, from here, its all your choice and then we can continue to help..

Which processor would you like to use (AMD or Intel)?
In my case, I chose AMD because it runs cooler and its better for gaming. I prefer the quality of AMD over Intel, and its also cheaper than Intel.

Intel does have benefits as well. - From what I've heard, Intel is better at multitasking.

(Its all about preferance)

Do you ever plan on being a gamer? If so, we might want to set it up for gaming now so you don't have to upgrade alot down the line. Both are possible though.. so don't worry.
Bahawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #17
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Andrew2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshillboy
if you want a lot less price, buy one.
It is useually way cheaper to build your own computer.... by buying the parts and such yourself.
Audio Adapter: Analog Devices AD1986A @ ULi/ALi M5461 High Definition Audio Controller
Disk Drives:ST330062 2AS SCSI Disk Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II) x4 (1280GB)
Network Adapter: Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Andrew2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:59 AM   #18
Baseband Member

What kind of budget are you on? That can assist us all in helping you select parts for your rig.

Budget CPU I would go with a AMD Sempron, wait a little longer until the S939 comes out for the Sempron, theyre going to be sweet.
decius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #19
Beta Member

Send a message via AIM to maxbimmer05
Talking Budget

I am have $2,000 to spend
maxbimmer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #20
Baseband Member

for 2k you can build an ultimate system that you wont have to upgrade for atleast another 3-4 years. I'll start looking at part prices and stuff, any clue on CPU AMD or Intel?

decius is offline   Reply With Quote