should I????

Computergen said:
windows is really crackin down on illegal OS's i wouldnt recomend DL'in anything.

I will have to agree, it's better to just borrow someone Cd's and install but do not activate.

doesnt matter what cd u use. just the serial, the same cd can be used a million times but if there are a million different serials its legal :)
god i hate microsoft...

i got a problem now...so i tried to reformat but somehow i installed a new Windows XP but all my stuff is still on my harddrive. It's in my unpartition, or sumthing like that....when i turn on my computer i get my new os running and it doesnt show me any of my programs or anything...so i dunt know where they are, but there still on my HD

EDIT: I just found something out, when i check out my C drive which is my only HD, it shows the capacity is only 10GB...thats what i set my partition to for my OS

OKAY OKAY FORGET THAT POST!!!
I HAVE NO CLUE WAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!

the problem i have is, i have 2 partitions and windows xp is installed in both, how can i make it only on one? because everytime i make a partition my os is installed into automatically

Yeah, thats what will happen if you partition using the disc.

Does that mean you have a drive C and D? (C being the 10gb partition) (and you have another 90 on D?)

In that case, I guess when you boot up windows you get a choice of which operating system to run which can get a bit confusing. You can stop this:

Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced tab, then find startup and recovery at the bottom and go to settings. You'll now get another menu, press where it says edit to change how the computer boots. (beware though, doing this wrong can stop the pc booting into windows):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="System 1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="System 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="System 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="System 4" /fastdetect

(this is how mines set up) the default one is the one that boots after 30 seconds is over, and is usually the one you choose to get to windows. If you are not sure, restart and check which one you go to, to get the 10gb drive (if it makes it easier to remember you can change whats in the brackets "" to something else) and then delete the other one from the list after it boots again, being careful not to delete the wrong one by mistake. (The only reason I have 4 is because I have 4 partitions instead of your 2).

On mine you can see it is set to boot default into partition 1 which is "system 1".
If the default is set to the same one you deleted, you'll need to just simply change the partition(?) in brackets to the one that is left :)

After that is done you go to file save and then when you restart since there is only one left to boot from, you won't get this menu again asking you to select one.

You could then format drive D (one with 90gb left) (Leaving the 10gb one okay) in Windows (though make backups if you've written anything to it)

Right click My Computer and go to Manage, on the side tabs, choose 'disk management'. Find the second partition (90gb) which will be a fake drive (because you only have 1) and right click it and go to Format. Then simply follow the instructions to wipe it, choosing NTFS on the list which is more suited to WinXp :)

This should work for you :)

Back
Top Bottom