Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Connecting wireless to wired network in order to share internet connection...

Ok, I have tried this before and sort of got it to work but im not sure how and cannot do it anymore.

I am using a Belkin F5D7632uk4 wireless router. My laptop upstairs connects to the wireless network and can access the internet. In the room next to me I have a desktop pc. I know that I could install a wireless NIC in the desktop and connect to existing network, but I have no money for one right now. So instead, I have an ethernet cable and another F5D7632uk4 router handy.

I want to use my spare router as a wired bridge between the laptop and PC so that the PC can receive internet from the laptop (which in turn is receiving internet from the wireless network. How should I go about doing this?

Please, please help me! It would be really appreciated!!!!

So far I have turned off DHCP on the downstairs router. On my laptop I have set the IP address to be So its a static IP. What should my next step be? Connect my spare router to the laptop via ethernet? Then connect the router to the desktop? Then what? Please help!!!

AMD Turion 64 ML-30 Processor (1MB L2 cache, 1.6GHz) 512DDR
inbrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Sharing internet connection...

On your lappy, go to Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click your internet connection and select Properties. Under the Advanced tab check "Allow other users to connect through this computer's internet connection." Then just connect the computer to the laptop using only the ethernet cable. No need for the router.

Oh, if you have XP, you may want to run the Network Setup Wizard to setup internet connection sharing.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote