Sharing Hard drive on the network?

DirtBikeRidr

In Runtime
Why can't I share my entire HDD? If I share my local C drive it won't let me open the files in that drive from other comps. If I try to share my program files it says that the sharing option is disabled because its used by the operating system... is there a way to go around this?

Thx in advance.

Untitled-1.gif

hello, try running the network setup wizard (in start menu under accesssories/ communications) on all computers...then restart computers...then open my computer and right click the drive you want to share (it was c i think u said)...and click properties..then the sharing tab...and if it gives you a warning about sharing root of drives...click on that sentence...then check share on network..hope this helps...good luck!

I can share my C drive...
I don't know why u can't, u should be able to do it.

Can't u just share the folders that u need to share, like leave out the program files etc?

I don't know of any way around this 'feature' microsoft implemented into XP.

Blame XP, it refuses to allow sharing of the program files directory, and it pisses me off. 2000 never did this.

I'll do some research on the internet, if I can find anything useful i'll post here again.

You need to run the Network Setup Wizard. This will then ask you if you want to turn on or off file sharing. Choose yes of course, and then share it again.

you can share the whole drive...and you will at the same time get access to the program files folder on the network.

Back
Top Bottom