Setting up a Vista/XP network

superman22x

Golden Master
Is it possible?
So far, I connected the 2 computers with a network cable, and on the XP laptop it went thru a thing to set up a network, and I think mine(Vista) was already ready. I can access the shared files on the laptop, but I am having no luck sharing the internet connection. What do I do to share the connection, I made it so that it is supposed to share between all the other computers on the network, but when I try and connect on the laptop, it dissconnects the sprint mobile broadband plugged into mine, and trys to open the dial-up connection it has. How do I need to set it up to share the connection?

Quickest and easiest way to share an internet connection is with a router. I know its possible with out it, but IDK how.

But, the thing about my connection is that I cant plug it directly into a router, I have a sprint USB stick that I have to have plugged into my computer.

You need to make sure that the router you're using is a wireless router. The Sprint USB stick, is that a wireless adapter? If so, then check your router to make sure it support wireless G (802.11b/g protocol).

is that usb stick a ADSL modem ?

or even cable modem.

if it is you can buy routers with built in modems which would solve your problem ?

also i have tried many times to share an internet connection between computers with no luck.

i had my laptop on wireless on my girlfriends net and hard wired into my network with a switch and no matter what i tried i couldnt get my other computers to get on the net ....... let me know if u figure it out without getting a router

Are you trying to share the connection through hard wire? If so, to go from one computer to another you need a crossover cable. If you are using a normal ethernet cable, it won't work.

I see, just have a normal ethernet cable. The Sprint USB stick isnt a wireless G stick, nor an ADSL modem, it picks up sprints EVDO wireless broadband.
So if I buy a wireless router and hook it up to my computer, and share it thru that I can share teh internet connection?

Yes. The wireless router enables multiple PC to share an internet connection, kind of like a smart switch, but capable of more. You will always have the option of hard wiring with ethernet cable or wireless if you have use a wireless router (just make sure it has ports on the back of you plan to use your ethernet cables to connect your PCs).

Back
Top Bottom