Setting up a TV to Computer Connection for Security System

pwoodruff89

Beta member
Hello, everyone,

I'm setting up a video security system where I work and looking for a little help.

Right now I have the cameras mounted and they are connected to a splitter which is connected via a video cable to a new Vizio 20" TV/Monitor.

I can see the images clearly on the monitor. However, I need to run the screen that is on the monitor to a computer (we are buying a dedicated computer for this). I then need to connect this computer to the internet and get software where my manager can watch the place from his home (remote desktop access?).

There is an S-Video outlet as well as a blue serial cable outlet ("PC RGB" is the label) on the Vizio TV.

1. Which of these connections is more up to date? S-Video or this serial cable?

2. What is the most inexpensive option I have for a CPU or laptop computer with these connections? Recommendations?

3. Do I need any software to view what is on the TV screen on my computer? Recommendations?

Thanks for the help. Have a good weekend everyone.

1. I used an S-Video at my house and it outputted fine. But I did computer -> tv. Not quite sure how it works backwards.

2. I think all laptops nowadays have an S-Video output.

3. Windows has its on thing that you can watch the screen of a computer. I'm not sure how it works nor what it is called. I just heard my dad talking about it. There's also something called LogMeIn. Just go to their website (click here). What you do is you download the program to the computer. Then on another computer you go online and use the computer that you downloaded logmein to. But the computer you're accessing has to be online.

edit: Oops. I misread the question on 3. What I said on 3 is to view the images on the computer from another computer.

1. Which of these connections is more up to date? S-Video or this serial cable?

The serial cable you're referring to is called the VGA cable. This connection has a far higher bandwidth than S-Video.

2. What is the most inexpensive option I have for a CPU or laptop computer with these connections? Recommendations?

Almost all computers come with a VGA port.
3. Do I need any software to view what is on the TV screen on my computer? Recommendations?

No.

I use a Lorex PCI card. It has support for 4 camera's and the software can support 2 cards(8 camera's). The software has a DVR, remote server, and remote client.

It works well the way I have it set up for home security. I have my server at my parents and theirs at my house. We live a couple hundred miles away, so the only way you're getting the evidence is if you break in both at the same time. ;)

So when I plug in the TV to my computer, how will I view what is on the TV? Is there just a function button I should be able to press?

Back
Top Bottom