Setting up router to internet

rat_boy_100

In Runtime
Hi, have an ADSL router and i cant find anything in the configurationg utility to put the internet username and password. Like you do when the windows dial-up box appears. I've got wan, lan, ppp, and allsorts there. But nothing seams to have anywhere to put this into. Can soembody tell me how i set the internet up for it?

First off, the config utilities are usally crap and your best bet is to program it directly. Usally going to your browser and typing in 192.168.1.1(or something similar, I'm sure a manually would tell you)

Within this setup, you should see something about connection type. Now, I've only set up one router with DSL, so I'm fairly new to it, but I beleive you set it to PPPoE. I know on mine, you get the option for a username and password.

I dont know if this is right but cant you do the networks setup wizard in xp and choose to share the internet conenction with the wireless router. (Is it wireless?)

there is no different from setting up the router for cable or dsl. The issue comes about, here:
1)You must have the dsl program installed on all computers using the router.
2) you must have added users to the dsl program set up. You will not be able to logon with one user name on different machines.
3) once that is set up then you go to the network wizard on the main computer and let the wizard set up the networking and create a floppy disc that can be used on all the other machines to set up the net working.

I found the info i need from my ISP, but every time i save settings and reboot, they've been reset when ti comes back on. Either the flash thing inside it is nakerd, or its because i haven't installed it. (installer always crashes and closes)

lurkswithin said:
there is no different from setting up the router for cable or dsl.

This is COMPLETELY untrue! Perhaps there are other ways to set routers up with DSL, but the most practical way is NOT as you mentioned. I have set them up where the router does everything. Dials, connects with user name and password, and all that stuff. The computers needed nothing additional on them what so ever.

If you can get the basic networking part going, all you should have to do is set the router up(look in the instructions, it should tell you the modes you need to be in and all) and then just set the gateway on your computer to the router's IP...

Back
Top Bottom