Setting up a OS on my there HDD.

blackjack

Fully Optimized
I have two drives C&F, both are NTFS, C is 40 gig and F is 150gb my OS and drive I'm using now is F and so C is for storage, I want to format C and put another OS on it and set up a dual boot, when I go into drive C it is displaying the windows files so I can assume that when I got my new drive F installed they put my windows home on and never removed the one from C so how do I format C and set my PC to dual boot? can I put in a Vista disc or Linux (ubuntu) and just tell it to install on drive C or do I need to do something else.

In my computer right click your c drive select manage and enter disk management, you can format the drive from there. If the install of Windows that you are using is indeed on this drive you will not be able to format it.

Once you have formatted the partition then boot back into Windows, insert your Vista cd, select custom install, direct the installer to your freshly formatted partition.

Get EasyBCD to edit your boot.ini as vista uses a different system (BCD) to XP (boot.ini)

ummm im not 100% sure on wot u said but sounds to me like the only reason u can boot to your F drive is because the boot manage is on your C drive so youd have to get around that

...... I can assume that when I got my new drive F installed they put my windows home on and never removed the one from C .

ummm im not 100% sure on wot u said but sounds to me like the only reason u can boot to your F drive is because the boot manage is on your C drive so youd have to get around that
I never considered the boot.ini being on the old C drive, you raise a good point. He's probably better off to disconnect the 40GB drive, set the 150GB up as primary master and reinstall Windows, then connect the 40GB up as slave, format it via disk management and then install Vista.

At least that way his main os drive (150GB) will be C.

I did it, I just put the Vista disc in and run the updates then told it to install on C, as soon as it finished and rebooted I got a menu that says select Vista or older version of windows and they both work, the only down side is now I only have 17gb of a 40g drive left:( and that was with the full install so where the other 23gb has gone I have no idea, It was Vista home basic I installed so if you guys have got any ideas of how I can slimline it down or retrieve some hdd space back id be grateful.

Back
Top Bottom