Setting Up A Broadband Router

Bretweber

Baseband Member
Heya, ive got a wired broadband router that im trying to set up in time for my laptop arriving. Ive searched the net and ive found many diagrams similiar to the below:
attacks-blocked.gif

Now, on all the diagrams it says PHONE LINE to ADSL MODEM then ADSL MODEM to ROUTER. but my ADSL modem only has the one bit for the phone line to go in and no bit for it to go out?? All i know about the router is that its a Speedom+ one?

Anyone know how i can sort it out??

Bret

Your solution would be to switch over to a wireless broadband connection, unless you really want a wired connection. Should you want a wireless DSL router, it will automatically pick up any PC on your network, pending your laptop have a wireless adapter built in. If not, then you'll need a USB wireless adapter.

If you choose to go to a wired route, you can still use the same wireless broadband router. Linksys wireless routers have 4 ports (for the basic router) in which you can connect using a Category 5e ethernet cable to, and the other end will simply go to a switch or directly to the back of your PC or into a NIC on your laptop.

In general a DSL modem may have just "one" port designated as WAN. THat's common in all modems even if you're using cable internet. There should be other ports on there that allows yoo to connect to other pCs, using an ethernet cable--not a phone line.

i have a router with 4 ports and 1 wan port. My modem has one port for the line from the phone line and it has one more for the power. I dont understand how to do it. If i got a wireless one i could just plug that into my modem and thats it?

Most modem just have that one port. For DSL, I think you have the phone line coming from the wall to the back of the DSL modem. There should be another "out" somewhere on that modem. One should say, "Phone", the other port should say "Ethernet" or something similar to that.

nope the modem only has 1 slot on it saying LINE and one saying USB which is the power. Looks like im going wireless.

i do plug it into my pc. but i want to set up my router using this modem :s so how can i do it?

I don't think there is a way. I have never heard of that type of modem before in which it doesn't allow you to connect to any other devices, but to one PC. In my experience working with routers and modems, DSL modems typically comes with a standard phone jack on the back. Then there's an Ethernet jack (for the RJ-45 connector) that allows broadband connectivity to go to a router. From the router, you can do whatever you want in terms of connecting multiple PCs whether you're using another switch or hub or directly to PCs. Maybe someone can clarify this.

I think you need to buy a new DSL modem. I wonder if there is such a thing as USB routers? Or even a USB to an RJ-45 adapter so you can connect to the router that way, I have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom