Setting up!

God Forsaken

Solid State Member
I built a pc and was wondering the startup part of things. could someone give me a complete walkdown. Txs.

*sagenod* and xp installs itself so...if you put it together right all you have to do is install your drivers.

ok. heres my problem. I tryed looking up everything on setting up of a new pc and it said i needed a boot-up disk (which than explained how i could make 1 from my other pc). I than did that put it into my new pc and it worked. I than had to get a "fdisk" disk so i could than partition my hard drive. I than did that and everything was ok. It than came time to reboot (which i did). So i came back to the "A:/" screen (and i think i was supposed to format my hdd from there right?) anyways i looked up the command for formatting the drive and the internet said to type in the (at the A:/) format c:/s/v. I than did that but it says bad file type. I than go to C: drive (which has been created) and than try the command in again (format c:/s/v) and than it says something about "Media file not reading C drive" and gives me 3 options 1) abort 2) retry or 3) fail. Now if i don't put the boot up disk inside when i restart the computer. There will be a short message on the top left hand side of the screen which says "hard drive partition!!55AA" and nothing happens.

are you installing an old version of windows? like 98, or me? if so you need to point to the directory which contains the format util. for it to work. which would be like the cd rom
from a you would go
a:cd d:
d:
d:\cd win98
d:\win98 fromat c:
in me you would go to the win9x directory
d:\win9x format c:
if your installing xp, forget all of that and put your xp disk in, delete the fat32 partition you have created with the boot disk, format in ntfs and kick back and have a beer or something

Back
Top Bottom