Server, setting up a LAN

MarxSoccer

BSOD
Alright, so I need the low-down on setting up at a LAN. Is it, someone has a server and you all connect to that? Meaning no outside internet connection is needed? If your able to set one up without an outside internet connection, that would be sweet, just need someone to help describe it to me. Maybe, somewhat like you describe modem/router setups ex: Cable>Modem>Router>PC/Playstation

Thanks!

well basicly u just plung in all of the computers to a swich/hub/router what ever u want to use. And atleast with win xp most of the time when u plug the cable in, it automatically makes the connections. If it doesn't then check that there is no ip collisions (2 computers having the same ip) and if it still doesn't work then u can try to change the workgroups of the computers so that they are identical.

The only time u need a host is if u are playing a game, then someone has to host it and the other just connect to his ip.

Normally i just plug the modem or router to the phone line and then everything else into the router or modem

So all the computers would be plugged into a router/hun, then that router/hub would be connected to the server pc?

MarxSoccer said:
So all the computers would be plugged into a router/hun, then that router/hub would be connected to the server pc?

no, there is no specifit server pc.
U just plug all of the computers into the router/hub/etc and ur lan is ready. If u host a game or something it can be any of the computers that are connected to the router/hub/etc.

So, if everyone is connected to the same router/hub, even if that isn't connected to an outside internet souce, if you go to LAN in say, CS:S, it will show a game someone setup?

MarxSoccer said:
So, if everyone is connected to the same router/hub, even if that isn't connected to an outside internet souce, if you go to LAN in say, CS:S, it will show a game someone setup?

yes

I would go with a router over a hub, and a switch over a hub. Hubs are a waste of money, you can't use them for any other personal use usually. Because a hub cannot assisgn IP's, a router and switch can. Common routers you buy at stores are basically a switch and a router together. Routers are used for gateways to the internet, and a switch is made to connect many computers to a networked group of computers. So save yourself money and just get a router, however it depends on how many pcs you are hooking up, from what I've bought they usually come with only 4 rj45(ethernet port) slots, and 1 internet port.

Here is a decent priced router, with 8 ports.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124022

Back
Top Bottom