Server building

thanks for the help guys...No i accualy want a good server..i will host a number of games servers, websites, ftp servers, ect. ect. so this isn't just so i can tell someone "Hey I have a server!".
Ok so I'm almost positive that I will stick with Intel P4 2.5 or something ghz 1 mb cache.

If you are going to use ATAs or SATAs, use a RAID 0 system. The file acces is much better then a single drive, but still as powerful as a SCSI drive.

Is your network going to be local or over the 'net?

accualy...after talking to several computer knowledgable friends....they all reccomended AMD, because of the price and quality...since i can spend like 170's max on this, I might accualy go with AMD.. but I'm not sure

I'm going with AMD...what do you guys think of this:

AMD Opteron Model 140, 64-bit Processor - OEM

- Specifications -

Model: AMD Opteron Model 140
Core: Hammer
Operating Frequency: 1.4GHz
FSB: Integrated into chip
Cache: L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.55V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 940
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: OEM

It's obviously below the 2.0 ghz mark I wanted, but a friend tells me that because it's an AMD and they use very efficient technology and because this is 64 bits, it will go something like a 2.2 pentium. Any truth to that?

By the way that model is 158 USD. The next one goes to 1.6 ghz, and costs 172 USD.

By the way, since it's 64 bit, someone told me it will not work with all systems. I'm planning on installing slack 10 on there...will that work?

after doing even more research accualy I think i will buy AMD.....however, can someone confirm that the model above is good or bad? Do you guys have specific AMD's you recommend for this under 160 - 170

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030422/index.html

I am unimpressed with the opterons benches and these show the Opteron model that is 400mhz faster than the one you are looking at.

But it all depends on what you are using you server for. The opterons preform better with traditional server task such as my sql but if you are looking for cheap raw performance you will save a bundle by going with what i recommended.

Back
Top Bottom