Serious question about new comp setup

the deceived

In Runtime
Right, I've finally got all of my parts for my computer sitting in my room just waiting to be built. Now I've never built a PC before, and I've done all the safety precautions (I even purchased an anti-static wristband for extra safety). I've spent a hell of a lot of money on this new system, and I can't afford to screw it up by doing a poor job on the assemble of it.

Here's the specs of it just to show you that I can't afford to screw up the build:

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ Socket 939 512KB
Motherboard: Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI
RAM: OCZ 2Gb (2 x 1Gb) Dual Channel Platinum Series DDR400
Hard Disk Drive Maxtor Diamondmax 250Gb SATA 7200rpm 16Mb Cache
Graphics Card: XFX nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 256Mb (Corse Clock Speed: 450MHz/Memory: 1250MHz)
PSU: Enermax 600W Noisetaker
DVD RW: NEC ND-3540A Black Dual Layer 16x DVD+/-RW
Floppy Disk Drive: Sony 3.5" FDD
Control Display: Black Coolermaster Aerogate 2 Fan Controller

Case: Extreme Gaming Spider Case
Screen: Viewsonic VX924 19" TFT LCD 4ms Response Time
Mouse: Logitech MX518
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse
Speakers: Creative Inspire 5.1 P5800 Speakers
Operating System: Windows Professional

Now that all cost me around £1500 ($2650) to purchase, and as you can see, I can;t afford to mess up the build. So my question is; has anyone got/know of a well written guide on how to build a computer from scratch (preferably in simple English :))?

But any information will be a great help!

Thanks very much!

Also read the mobo manual when putting the parts together. There usually is quite detailed explanations (also pictures) which show u what to do next.

jac006 said:
Very nice comp... first off.. lol.. love the vid. card. http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/
http://www.daileyint.com/build/
Hope this helps...

Haha, thanks jac006! I love it too :) To be honest with you, go back two weeks and I knew nothing about computers (I literally mean nothing in terms of the inner workings), and now I'm sitting here asking how to build one :)! It's crazy!

That PC Mech one looks really good! Thanks very much!

Another question I have is would it be a good idea to consult 2 or 3 guides on how to build so that I get a wide knowledge base on building it, or would it be better just sticking to one and not getting confused over their different terminology?

Thanks again!

daemon said:
Also read the mobo manual when putting the parts together. There usually is quite detailed explanations (also pictures) which show u what to do next.

Yeah, I opened the box of my Gigabyte and checked. It is quite detailed, so thanks for the backup of info daemon!

the deceived said:
Haha, thanks jac006! I love it too :) To be honest with you, go back two weeks and I knew nothing about computers (I literally mean nothing in terms of the inner workings), and now I'm sitting here asking how to build one :)! It's crazy!

That PC Mech one looks really good! Thanks very much!

Another question I have is would it be a good idea to consult 2 or 3 guides on how to build so that I get a wide knowledge base on building it, or would it be better just sticking to one and not getting confused over their different terminology?

Thanks again!

Well, the more info, the better. You can compare ideas from one or the other and see which one fits your computer. The more, the merrier, in this case, that is. add to my reputation if I helped you... lol... the little talking guy to the right... lol..

jac006 said:
Well, the more info, the better. You can compare ideas from one or the other and see which one fits your computer. The more, the merrier, in this case, that is. add to my reputation if I helped you... lol... the little talking guy to the right... lol..

Oh right, OK. Thanks jac006! I shall do some swotting up on the subject and get back to you guys with my 3DMark scores.

By the way, How do you think my PC will rate on the 3dMark score system?

Also, just to be 100% sure, my system is all compatible right?

Thanks!

Well, it depends on which 3dmark you do. With 3dmark03 you'll get around 10,000-12,000, if not above.
On 3dmark05 maybe around 6000-9000 thousand. Should be compatible... make sure the cpu is socket 939, the mobo socket 939, and that the ram macthes the dual channel. Yeah, peace!

jac006 said:
Well, it depends on which 3dmark you do. With 3dmark03 you'll get around 10,000-12,000, if not above.
On 3dmark05 maybe around 6000-9000 thousand. Should be compatible... make sure the cpu is socket 939, the mobo socket 939, and that the ram macthes the dual channel. Yeah, peace!

Yeah, they are all socket 939. Thanks for reassuring me!

Well thanks for the guidelines on what score I will probably get, but I'll post a thread soon with my score in.

Thanks again for all your help!

No problem... and if you ever have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Back
Top Bottom