Selling the Idea of a Home Server

MooseMan1

Fully Optimized
I want to see what people have to say about it. :)

Someone has asked you "What are the benefits of having a home server?" "What justifies the cost of a home server?" "What all could I do with a home server?"

What would you say, to answer their questions? What other things might you add to your explanation to improve the chances of the customer buying the home server?

Big thing is the backups IMO. Most of the general public does not backup their computer, or does not back it up often enough and with the poop hits the fan, they are screwed. Home server goes in and backs up the computers daily. If a hard drive happens to die, you can pop in a CD and restore the computer to the exact settings of the backup you choose.

The second big thing for people is the NAS that Server offers. While it cannot backup MAC, and it's backup software for 64-bit is still in beta, any computer or network device can access the drives for storage and file sharing.

you could look at any pics or vids that are on the server from any pc in the house
so all of your family moments can be shared, laughed at, and reminded of
over and over and over again
from any pc in the house

Remote file access is a nice one too. Downloads can suck if your upload at home sucks (like mine). You can create a website and use it to download, upload or delete files to/from your home server from anywhere.

The hardest part of this is the actual port forwarding on the router. After that, it's golden.

If your afk at home you can access files from your home if your at your friends.

You can run gaming servers for people to rent from you and make some cash.

You can host a radio station with many dj's streaming off you.

theres several reasons. for me i think the whole domain controller reason is great. it just makes using a computer at your house/business a lot easier and more professional (well, it would only benifit if you had quite a lot of pc's). another reason is the backups. i do not go crazy over backing up all the time, but if i had several computers with important info then having a server os would make it so much more automatic and easy, as all the files would be stored on one pc, meaning only 1 backup process, and if any other other hdd's die then its not a problem.
the remote desktop app is also pretty handy. it pretty much means you just need the tower and nothing else to run the os, as it can all be done over remote desktop. it saves space, and costs.

i just think its a good os to choose if you have quite a few pc's in your home, or are running a business. there are lots of options, and will ensure you can run all your pc's smoothly and easily.

^
Windows Home Server isn't a domain controller is it?

Also, if you owned a business, I am pretty sure you would be violating Microsoft's EULA for Home server. If you have a business you are using it for, they will want you to have Win Server.

Back
Top Bottom