Seemingly Unfix-able Problem

saullotzof

Beta member
Hi everyone,
I have a seemingly unsolvable problem.
I built a PC for a friend around six months ago, and it has been running perfectly well on Windows 8 (32bit) for that time. Recently, it has been randomly shutting down without warning in the middle of tasks, and then immediately rebooting. The other day he invited me round to upgrade him to 64bit windows 10. I did so by burning the ISO onto a disk and then re-installing Windows. This worked, for 24 hours of Dota playing and downloading (without any mysterious black-outs) until it suddenly switched off again. This time however, the computer would not turn on (so to speak). When power button was held down the PC would "turn on", albeit only with the power button illuminating and a green light on the motherboard but nothing else. No fans, no video output, no keyboard lights or anything. I've taken out and put the CMOS battery back in but that didn't work, and I'm utterly stuck about what it is. Any ideas?

It's probably crashing with a BSOD but it's rebooting immediately so you aren't able to see the error. If you can get the machine to boot again, I'd try using a tool such as BlueScreenView to see what the error messages are.

But first you need to get the system to pass POST and boot. Try reseating the RAM, video card, and any other easily removable devices plugged into the motherboard.

You could possibly have a bad RAM module or some other hardware issue, if it still will not pass POST.

Also check the cpu heat sink isn't clogged up with dust. It doesn't take long for that to happen and while you are about it you might as well renew the heat sink compound between the cpu heatsink and the heatsink itself.

Sounds like a power supply. Swap and test with a known good unit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Computer Forums mobile app

I am thinking PSU also. There's a few other things it could be too, but you need to start eliminating variables.
Did any fans make noises or stop running before it would shut down before?

Back
Top Bottom