Seeking help buying new laptop

Well I wish that was the case. Even when I'm not camming it's a struggle, it's just worse now that I'm camming.

How did the laptop perform immediately after you did a factory reset a few months ago?

I was a die hard Fx user for years & I still use it, but I got fed up with the memory hog & all the crashing I get on it on my desktop. After hearing someone else tell me his friend also ditched Fx for Chrome, I finally made the decision to make Chrome my default browser.

Doesn't mean I still don't use Fx, it's just I only use it for a few sites.

Even on the laptop I run Pandora on it & now every hour or so it crashes with the debug error which I assume is a Flash issue.

My computer, flash & Fx never work. I had tons of flash crashes with Fx too & I even followed the instructions on how to try & stop it & it still continued.

With Chrome I barely get that & I don't find Chrome to be a memory hog & it definitely crashes a lot less often than Fx does.

It's not like I'm in love with the BIG G, b/c I can't stand them, but I need to be able to work & when dealing with crashing issues takes up more time than working, my loyalty goes out the window.

I actually happen to like Opera, but b/c no one uses it, it's buggy with Pandora & I have yet to use it f/t so it may crash a lot too plus I couldn't find the settings button anywhere when I pulled it up the other day.

I was always a fan of Opera too, but they've actually now switched over the the same basic platform as Google Chrome. The old Opera development team have now created their own web browser called Vivaldi, it's very much in development though so still a bit buggy at times!

As much as I loathe to say it... the latest version of Internet Explorer seems remarkably good, but if you're saying you are having problems before you even start camming, then changing your web browser won't necessarily help.

I have Adblock on Fx, not on Chrome.

Also I couldn't get one of the cam sites to work properly on Fx which is also why I switched to Chrome, & that site "claims" their site works best on Fx (go figure).

I can try it again tomorrow to see if the lag goes away, but I don't know why you have less memory issues with Fx than I do.

Ah, if the camming site doesn't work for you properly on Firefox, then it's not really a viable solution for you to use a different browser, from the sounds of it, the laptop is performing slowly in general, so the browser doesn't appear to be the primary cause of the problem.

Well I'm sure Avast is doing that b/c that's what it's supposed to be doing :)

I never had multiple anti virus software loaded until last week. I had to go onto Bleeping computer to get help b/c I couldn't work, & he had me installing a new one. Of course none of the scans helped & in fact, I now have even more issues.

My mouse now has a mind of its own. It double clicks, instead of single clicks, opens windows I never touched & is driving me insane. I can barely work b/c I am constantly trying to click. Sometimes it can take 4 clicks before I can get a window to open.

If it has a firewall or real-time protection, then it should constantly be working, but the actual virus scans should happen once, then stop. They actually work the hard drive quite hard at times, as the scan is reading through every single file for any traces of a virus, and a hard drive is mechanical, it can only do so much! It's best to schedule/run the scans when you don't actually want to work on the machine in my opinion, same with running backups, as both these things will slow the PC down.

Having more than one anti-virus isn't recommended, as in theory one should pick up viruses by itself. There are anti-malware tools which I often recommend (primarily Malwarebytes Anti-Malware), as these supplement an anti-virus, search for slightly different things, and don't tend to run in the background, only when you ask them to. I'd recommend you keep a single anti-virus tool, and try running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware every so often to check for malware.

Nope, I only use my laptop on a desk, but yes, this city is terrible with dust, so I just blew it out & some grit did come out. Thank you.

As I think I mentioned, I now have a cooler, so it's sitting even higher up then it was while on the desk.

I'm quite a fan of coolers to be honest, even when you lift up the back of the laptop it improves airflow, so when you have a separate cooler in addition blowing extra air onto the machine it can't be a bad thing!

I already went thru this 2-3 months ago with Asus. First I did a refresh, then I did a factory reset. This was re: the Win key issues, nothing to do with the lag, but I really don't want to have to go thru this again if I don't have to.

The only reason I'd be willing is b/c I barely have any data on my laptop. Now if you were telling me to reformat my desktop I'd be freaking out on you. :)

If you really think I should do it, I'll do it, but it's a pain getting my settings back the way I want them.

The problem with computers is that any single symptom could have a multitude of causes (like a car..), viruses, programmes running in the background, hardware failure etc... the only sure way to know whether it's the software causing a problem is to simply start again with it. If you can stick with one anti-virus, run a malware scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and disable some startup files (detailed below), then it'll at least give us an idea of what the problem is.

To disable some startup programmes...
1. Hold the windows key and the r key together to open the "Run" dialogue box. In the box that opens, type "msconfig"
2. A new window should open, in this window, click the "Startup" tab. You can theoretically untick all the boxes in this tab and the computer will fundamentally work fine (but your antivirus etc won't run in the background), so don't worry about breaking anything... untick the items in the list you don't want to startup when your computer does, literally anything that you don't want running in the background. Something you would want is the antivirus, but something you wouldn't want may be software preinstalled by Asus etc...
3. Click "Apply," then click "Ok"
4. Restart the PC to test! :)

Well (don't say ahhhaa), I do keep my computers on 24/7. It is also very hot in my apt. as I have to use the AC sparingly, but the cooler should be cooling it down more than before.

The fan always sounded like it was on its last legs even before the camming. I can DL something & it revs high.

Hopefully blowing the dust out should have helped this a bit! :)

Well I think it was Tom's Hardware site had an article describing both as being different & I didn't know which one I needed. It sounds like the gammer one to me.

If the Asus laptop you bought did the job okay originally, chances are it should still work fine now too, hopefully we can get it sorted for you :)

Yes, those camming sites are terrible when it comes to external ads.

Some of these ads (due to the nature of the sites) will be malicious, ie, they'll ask you to click popups, and it's easy for you to accidentally click something that means you've installed something you don't want (or is malicious) on your PC. Adblock goes a long way to blocking most of these adverts.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

Thanks a ton :)

If you try the checklist of things I've suggested above we *might* be able to avoid having to reinstall the PC. Has the laptop been dropped or anything like that?

Joe,

Sorry I never got back to you.

I was swamped with all that was going on, plus what the other site had me doing.

I already have MBAM on my computer, I have for years. I got rid of that other anti virus, but it wasn't working in the background, I think it only works when you run it. I already know you shouldn't have 2 running at the same time :) I'm not a newbie to computers just so you know.

After the reset I don't remember how things went b/c I don't think I was running all 4 sites at the same time. The site ads are for the guys, not on my end, so I don't think that's the issue.

The guys on the other forum pretty much think it's the bloody computer & suggested I get it fixed (yeh right). Of course I'm PISSED. Now I really have to buy another laptop.

I can barely do anything on it, forget about the camming, just opening a window at times takes forever & it takes forever for the text I type to actually show up (not all the time, but way too many times for it to be a one off issue.)

The mouse problem has gotten sooo bad, that last Saturday it pasted a cell of data from my Excel overtop about 100 other cells & before I realized what it did, I saved the file & lost all that data.

Anyway, I came on here to find the laptop you recommended & I'm sorry, but I don't think you read the reviews. There were several horrific reviews about how slow the laptop is & how there's constant BOD & even some wireless issues.

One IT guy bought 5 or 6 of them & had to return them all.

I just can't take a chance with that laptop.

I like all the features, just not the reviews.

I also need a laptop that will let me switch to 220 volts for when I hope I move overseas. So I need it to work here & there.

Thanks & I hope you are doing well.

No worries, we all go through busy periods, it's a pleasure to have you back :)

If the intention is to get a new PC if this one is truly a problem then it's worth having a go at reinstalling Windows. Sometimes hardware issues manifest themselves on installation as a lot of files are getting moved around, if a Windows installation goes through with no problems and relatively quickly then you can be fairly confident the PC hardware is okay (in most cases).

If the laptop hardware has failed I'd be very surprised, in most cases hardware under a few years old shouldn't just fail, the most vulnerable item is the hard drive (which is actually replaceable anyway, anything upwards from around $40 would get you a decent laptop hard drive). Again, by reinstalling Windows you'll get an idea of whether the problem is hardware or software based, it the PC is still slow after it's been reinstalled then you can be reasonably sure that it's the hardware at fault (the majority of faults tend to be with the hard drive from personal experience).

Oops I didn't see those bad reviews, I tend to just buy by spec and see how I get on, touch wood I've been okay so far...

The majority of laptops seem to come with chargers that work on anything between 100-240V so pretty much any laptop you look at should be okay if you intend on moving, where are you considering moving to? :)

I'm great, just busy working, playing, and generally making a fool of myself... you?

What ever laptop you get you're going to have to also purchase a power brick set for 220. Using a universal is taking a risk it might not read the wall voltage correctly and damage your laptop.

What ever laptop you get you're going to have to also purchase a power brick set for 220. Using a universal is taking a risk it might not read the wall voltage correctly and damage your laptop.

That's odd, every laptop I own/have owned has come with a pack that takes an input of anything from 100-240V, even from a cheap brand like Medion. I'm in the UK so am receiving 230/240V from the wall.

Been a while since I looked at the bottom of my power bricks. I just kick them under the table and hope they keep working. I guess then all you would need is the 220 power cord to plug in to the brick.

No worries, we all go through busy periods, it's a pleasure to have you back :)

If the intention is to get a new PC if this one is truly a problem then it's worth having a go at reinstalling Windows. Sometimes hardware issues manifest themselves on installation as a lot of files are getting moved around, if a Windows installation goes through with no problems and relatively quickly then you can be fairly confident the PC hardware is okay (in most cases).

If the laptop hardware has failed I'd be very surprised, in most cases hardware under a few years old shouldn't just fail, the most vulnerable item is the hard drive (which is actually replaceable anyway, anything upwards from around $40 would get you a decent laptop hard drive). Again, by reinstalling Windows you'll get an idea of whether the problem is hardware or software based, it the PC is still slow after it's been reinstalled then you can be reasonably sure that it's the hardware at fault (the majority of faults tend to be with the hard drive from personal experience).

Oops I didn't see those bad reviews, I tend to just buy by spec and see how I get on, touch wood I've been okay so far...

The majority of laptops seem to come with chargers that work on anything between 100-240V so pretty much any laptop you look at should be okay if you intend on moving, where are you considering moving to? :)

I'm great, just busy working, playing, and generally making a fool of myself... you?

How are you getting on with this Michelle? :)

Back
Top Bottom