Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Secondary IDE Problems

i have come to a conclusion..i bet 90% its a bad mobo...because as they said....cut circut, just takes a scratch on the IDE controller and such..

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

ive had the same problem with another asus motherboard, try unplugging the front usb ports (the wire coming from the front controll pannel) i know it sounds weird but thats what fixed it for me

Old 07-08-2006, 12:52 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

I do have the USB's plugged in. And, nothing is listeded under the BIOS. If it is a bad motherboard, it isn't really a big deal actualy; those PCI IDE cards are rather cheap on Newegg. Still, it's 20 bucks and an extra 10 for round IDE cables (been meaning to get those anyways) that I'd rather not spend.

I'll try unplugging the USB ports in the morning.
Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:21 AM   #14
Baseband Member

Odd's are you're secondary IDE port crapped out. If you tried everything on your IDE channel on every possible setting (channel select, master, slave) and moved them accordingly, then the problem is most likely that the port is just ruined. Looks like someone gets to buy a new mobo sorry.
BFG Tech 7900GTX
Custom Liquid Cooling
gh0st09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #15
Fully Optimized

Not a new motherboard, at all. I like this motherboard, and it is completely set up... I think I'll just grab a PCI IDE card. But, I still have yet to try the USB things... I'm doubtful it will work.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #16
Fully Optimized

Well, I unplugged the front USB ports and I didn't get anything. So, after looking on Newegg for some PCI IDE cards, I found that those are one of those things that just seems not to work more than it actually does work, mostly because of random incompatibility problems. Since my IDE hard drive is nearing 4 years old, I simply decided to purchase a new SATA drive (120 GB from Seagate for only 60 bucks ) and a new rounded IDE cable, and connect that to my CD drives. Luckily, all I will have to do is copy the data from the old HDD to the new one in Windows, unplug the old one, and change the drive name so that everything that is installed on that drive is in the exact same place as before. This was probably the best option in the first place, anyways. Just wanted to let y'all know I got it straightened out.

Thanks for your help though!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #17
Golden Master

In the BIOS, there are settings for the IDE configuration and there are selection to make primary, secondary or both to work. have you seen that?
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #18
Fully Optimized

Yeah, and they were both enabled.