Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Second Hard drive problems..

I have recently installed a new hard drive due to windows being corrupted on my old one. I installed a new copy of windows and currently have my new drive set as Master. I have this drive plugged in with an PATA cable.

I also have my old drive plugged in via the SATA cable and I tried setting it as the slave drive. However, the bios will not detect it whilst my Master drive is plugged in. The old drive is detectable by the bios only when it is plugged in without the master drive!

I have valuable data on my old drive which I do not wish to loose. Is there any way I can retrieve the data on my old Hard Drive?

Any help given would be appreciated. Thanks!

Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Second Hard drive problems..

ace777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I have had a similar problem I have 2 drives the master was the original on the computer,before it would detect it in bios but now it doesen't.However It will recognize it when I go to My Computer and I have acess to all the files on it. Why is it there but not recognized by BIOS?
ace777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Baseband Member

ace, so you having a problem with that? Is it possible to have 2 hd w/o slave/master, is this possible?
Or is c: the master?, f: slave?
adrian krstisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloko
I have recently installed a new hard drive due to windows being corrupted on my old one. I installed a new copy of windows and currently have my new drive set as Master. I have this drive plugged in with an PATA cable.

I also have my old drive plugged in via the SATA cable and I tried setting it as the slave drive. However, the bios will not detect it whilst my Master drive is plugged in. The old drive is detectable by the bios only when it is plugged in without the master drive!

I have valuable data on my old drive which I do not wish to loose. Is there any way I can retrieve the data on my old Hard Drive?

Any help given would be appreciated. Thanks!
SATA does not follow a Slave / Master system :S

I think you moved jumpers that tell the hard drive what speed of interface it's using or somethign simmilar.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

The connector you plug your SATA drive into on the mobo determines ya primary, secondary etc. They will be labelled on the mobo
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace777
I have had a similar problem I have 2 drives the master was the original on the computer,before it would detect it in bios but now it doesen't.However It will recognize it when I go to My Computer and I have acess to all the files on it. Why is it there but not recognized by BIOS?
Have a look in computer management and see if the drive is there, and what the status of the drive is
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
Beta Member

Ok. Thanks for the input everyone. It turned out the solution was rather simple. I had not installed the correct RAID driver. After installing the driver the drive was recognized and I could start using it again (well sort of... the hard drive was corrupt ).
Thanks all!

Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote