second hard disk

Check out this diagram I made. Hopefully this will explain it better. This is for the second harddrive and the DVD Writer on the Secondary IDE Controller.

Motherboard
|
|
|
DVD Writer
Jumper: Slave|
|
|
Second Hard Disk

ok so the spare connector on the dvd cable goes into the 2nd hd, (the spare connector is the middle one as described above) and the last connector stays put in the dvd writer, i move the jumpers on the dvd to the far left and on the new hd put it? on the right? or center? my current hd has the jumpers on the center pins

FOr the movement of jumpers, you will have to follow the diagram that's on the hard drive. I suggest moving the HDD to Master.

The Primary IDE cable will plug into the hard drive which will boot first. This is the C: drive. This hard drive will plug into the very end connector of the ribbon cable. This "boot" hard drive will have its jumpers set as "Master." These jumper settings can be found printed directly on the hard drive case. The Secondary IDE cable will plug into the second hard drive, and DVD-ROM drive. In this scenario, you 'll plug the cable into the second hard drive, which should be jumpered to "Master", and the CD-ROM drive, jumpered as "Slave." (the middle connector on the ribbon). So both hard drives should be connected at the very top of the cable (Master).

Back
Top Bottom