Searching for the right GPU and Motherboard for my Zambezi build

Nekura7

Beta member
Hello ComputerForums! First post.

As the title suggests I'm having trouble sorting everything out in finding the correct graphics card and mother board for my AMD build I am considering and was wondering if anyone could give me their insights.

What I've decided on so far is...

AMD 8150
16Gb G.Skill 1866 DDR3 RAM (dual channel)
Half decent 750w+ PSU

For my graphics card I would like something that can support my multi-tasking nature and love for high quality graphics (Skyrim full blast!!). Also emulating a PS3 would be a goal. By multi-tasking I mean I have the tendency to have multiple screens doing multiple things (three screens all running a different operating system through the miracle of VirtualBox). However I'm not willing to fork out hundreds for the new AMD 7xxx cards. Considering a 6950. Should I try to find one with 4GB of RAM because I'll have a multiple monitor setup though? Should I consider something with more power(6970 or GeForce)?
As for the motherboard I would like a high quality board that will last me a long time and have the headroom to handle 1866 ram and an OC'd Zambezi. Most likely going to have a SATA 3 and a couple SSDs latter on so the NB would have to support that as well. Also I'd like the possibilty of upgrading to dual GPUs in the future (preferably a board with 2 x16 slots rather than x16 and x8)

So if you've got through all that I must thank you :) Also there's alot of controversy on the 8150 so feedback would be helpful, my reasons for not going with an intel sandy bridge would be the extra cores should help me with the multiple programs running at the same time and that it should already have enough power per logical core to do whatever I'd like. Not to mention I hear that if you run an i7 with OC'd RAM (factory or not) you void your warranty... Just sounds like the Sandy Bridge platform was rushed and not solidified..

Anyways thank you in advance for any helpful feedback :D

I have an msi 6950 and runs greats with my fx8150. highly recommend

ASrock 990fx for board imo, awesome BIOS

If you want 2 x16 slots, then you need to go with a 990FX chipset. I really want to upgrade my GFX card as I have a 4850. I personally have a Gigabyte 970 board. Great feature set and overclocking is a breeze.

Thank you for your replys. Do either of you have similar needs to mine? A two gigabyte card seems to be the norm but I was wondering if I needed more for the multiple monitors and eyefinity gaming. Do you have an exampleof where it caps out?

So I think I'm going to go with the Gigabyte 990fxa-UD5
Asthetically it will match my case and won't contrast with the blue theme I want.
Functionally I think there's less loose ends with this board. Looking through reviews the Crosshair V looks like a high end patchwork job and I don't want to deal with all the issues that I MIGHT have with it and also this board is cheaper and still offers me a good feature set.
The only thing I'm worried about is there might be a significant vdrop which could interfere with my overclocking...

On the videocard end I've decided to go with the XFX HD 697A with 2GB vram and eyefinity support. Not till latter though, I have an old video card that I'll use till I get the funds :p

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Probably not going to start ordering till mid/late march

Back
Top Bottom