Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Seagate - WD - Samsung

Hi guys.

Im need some advice. Im looking to get a couple of Harddrives main use is storage only.
Now this is where the headscrather come to play.
Im looking at mainly 1TB - 1.5TB as im running XP and 2TB not really supported by Windows XP .... or so I heard

This is my options:

1. Seagate Barracuda 1TB [ST31000528AS], NCQ 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache, SATAII
- I like Seagate it has a 5yr Warranty but i had a few issues with the drive. I lost about 750 - 800GB of data twice. One time caused by bad sectors.
- I have a 250GB and a 500GB Seagate Drive never experienced problems with them
- I also read that the Seagate 1TB+ range has encounterd alot of problems, then again that was awhile back

2. WD CAVIAR Blue 32 1TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache, SATAII
- My very first drive was a Western Digital, never had any problems
- Where I live its a bit more expensive than the Seagate, but id rather pay a bit more for quality although it only has a 3yr Warrany
- At my first job we got alot of faulty harddrives which were mainly WD and Maxtor

3. Samsung F2 1TB 3.5" 32mb Cache, Variable RPM - SATAII - Ecogreen
- I have read alot of reviews that Samsung makes good harddrives and also alot of reviews saying that it is a bunch of bull
- Its cheaper than the Seagate & WD and I read it runs cooler and softer which is a plus
- For the same price of the WD and Seagate I can get a Samsung F2 1.5TB 3.5" 32mb Cache, Variable RPM - SATAII - Ecogreen.

I prefer not to use Hitachi or Maxtor drives since I had to many problems with them.

So all in all. Every drive have their pro's and con's, but which will you recommend. I never used samsung drives but people told me just to give it a try and form my own opinion, so im considering the drive. I prefer the WD and Seagate since its running at 7200rpm but since im only using it for storrage a 5900rpm drive will do, thats where the samsung comes into play.

I'd like to hear your thoughts
Thanks in advance

Kylothian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: Seagate - WD - Samsung

i suggest u buy external hardrives if want to store...i got tons of anime stored and i can take them with me anytime... same for games... music... pics etc... oyea and essays lol for colege... reuse old ones ftw

My baby running like a dream: a. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 b. Intel Core i7-930 c. COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case d. Sunbeam PSU-COM680-BK-US 680W ATX12V Modular Active PFC Power Supply - OEM e. COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible CPU Cooler f. KingstonT1 Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 g. WD 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive h. ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $1,241.55
lockess_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Baseband Member

My TB I have now in my computer I want to make external for its about 3 - 4yrs old already and I want to replace him and my 500GB with newer drives. Besides im mostly the supplier of new stuff at lans so storage is always essenstial for me. I bought a new case with docking bays and cooling just for my harddrives :P
I also checked out the WD CAVIAR GP 1TB IntelliPow er 64 MB Cache, SATAII, although its only running at 5900rpm i dont mind since im using it for storage. but my main concern is, will it be a stable drive i dont want to buy a drive fill it with 750GB+ of data and it crashes after 2 or 3 months
Kylothian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

I can vouch for all of those brands. Hard drive failures are conceptual, some folks have issues all the time, others don't. I had a bad 750GB Seagate (that firmware snafu that bricked a bunch of drives) but the replacement has been working fine in the customer's system.

I have used Western Digital on and off for years, and the latest ones I've bought are all doing great. (640, 2 x 750, and my two 150GB raptors are still going strong)

I took a chance a while back on Samsung, I bought a 320GB drive for my main gamer system, and the drive is nearly 3 years old now and still going strong. I recently had to pick up a customer's system and totally forgot that I put a 40GB Samsung in the system and it too is performing exactly as it should, 4 years old last month.

By the way, Maxtor is defunct. They were purchased by Seagate.

Hitachi drives are ok, don't have much experience with them, but the two that I DO have at home still work great, though they're not in any normal use systems at the moment.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote