Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7
Question screen too big for monitor

I recently unhooked my Polaroid TLXB-3211 32" LCD tv from my computer while running(connected via an s-video adapter to component cables at 1024x768 res) to use the cables to watch a movie. Since then the tv and computer won't connect with the previous setup. So, I bought an HDMI-DVI cable, and am currently using it to connect the two. The only problem is that now the computer screen is too big for the tv. I've tried every resolution and none of them fix the problem. The only resolution that doesn't work is 1366x768 (which the manual says is the max resolution), wich just shows a black screen until the preview times out and it goes back to the old res.
Are there any other ways to resize the screen to fit the tv?


I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3. And I have an Nvidia GEForce 9600 GT 512MB Gaming video card, with Nvidia programs (Control Panel, nView Desktop, and PhysX) as well as the standard control panel and display options.

Thank you in advance for your help
__________________

riggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Bogan
 
Neodude112320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320
Default Re: screen too big for monitor

Nevermind.
__________________

__________________
Desktop:BitFenix Survivor~Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R~ i7 2600K @ 4hz~AMD 6870 1GB~12gb Team Elite DDR3 1333~3xWD In RAID5~W7 Ult
Laptop:Alienware M11x~ i7-2637M 1.7GHz~16GB 1333MHz DDR3~GeForce GT 540M~W7 Ult
Neodude112320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
PokerDegenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: screen too big for monitor

you may have set your TV as the primary monitor so it uses the Svideo connection as the output for your monitor instead of the DVI/VGA cable connected to your monitor. to fix this you can go to your control panel > appearance and personalization > screen resolution > and on that window there should be 2 different monitors shown (1 and 2) below those monitors there are some check box options you can check and one of them is set this screen as my primary monitor or something like that and the other is stretch my desktop to this screen. you can check the one that says stretch my desktop to the one that is not showing up or you can click set this monitor to my primary if you only want that one monitor showing.

as for your screen not filling up do you have a graphics card or are you using onboard graphics?
__________________
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7
Default Re: screen too big for monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggo View Post
The only problem is that the computer screen is too big for the tv. I've tried every resolution and none of them fix the problem. Are there any other ways to solve this?
yes
The manual for the tv says max resolution is 1366x768, but the that's the only res that doesn't work on the tv (I just get a black screen until it times out and returns to the previous res setting).
Btw, I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDegenerate View Post
you may have set your TV as the primary monitor so it uses the Svideo connection as the output for your monitor instead of the DVI/VGA cable connected to your monitor. to fix this you can go to your control panel > appearance and personalization > screen resolution > and on that window there should be 2 different monitors shown (1 and 2) below those monitors there are some check box options you can check and one of them is set this screen as my primary monitor or something like that and the other is stretch my desktop to this screen. you can check the one that says stretch my desktop to the one that is not showing up or you can click set this monitor to my primary if you only want that one monitor showing.

as for your screen not filling up do you have a graphics card or are you using onboard graphics?
I'm running Nvidia GEForce 9600 GT 512MB Gaming video card, and have Nvidia programs (such as control panel, nView Desktop, and PhysX) as well as the standard control panel and display options.
I found out how to set the computer to a single monitor, but I can't find anywhere to "stretch my desktop to this screen".
riggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: screen too big for monitor

I have a 32" Toshiba and I ran in to a simular issue. In the nvidia control panel there is in the left side menu a selection that allows you to "adjust" the image to fit the screen.
It should be the last item in the menu. It's titled > Resize HDMI desktop
Carefull, it's kinda touchy.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7
Default Re: screen too big for monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
I have a 32" Toshiba and I ran in to a simular issue. In the nvidia control panel there is in the left side menu a selection that allows you to "adjust" the image to fit the screen.
It should be the last item in the menu. It's titled > Resize HDMI desktop
Carefull, it's kinda touchy.
I don't see that option anywhere. I have version 2.2.350.00

This is what I see at 1024x768 resolution (and that's with the start menu bar extended upwards)
riggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: screen too big for monitor

Run the television wizard.
And I'd also check nvidia for the latest drivers. I'm running 182.60.

Latest version for your card on XP is:
GeForce/ION Driver Release 185 WHQL
Version: 185.85
Release Date: May 06, 2009
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 76.1 MB

Might want to grab that.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #8
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7
Default Re: screen too big for monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Run the television wizard.
And I'd also check nvidia for the latest drivers. I'm running 182.60.

Latest version for your card on XP is:
GeForce/ION Driver Release 185 WHQL
Version: 185.85
Release Date: May 06, 2009
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 76.1 MB

Might want to grab that.
I updated the drivers, but I still don't see that resizing option anywhere.


I tried just disabling the display adapter, and that solved the screen size issue. But then I only had two resolution options, and neither were what I wanted XD

I'm not totally sure what I did but I fixed it...kind of.
I uninstalled the device adapter,restarted my computer, set it up again, and now it fits....it's a higher resolution than I wanted, but at least it fits. Now, if only I could just make the taskbar larger...
__________________

riggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0