Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Screen Tear

Okay, so I've got a Macbook that is from '08 that has pretty much served its time well and quite recently it's having a hardware issue where the screen almost 100% of the time has a vertical tear going on:

I know I have the option of taking it somewhere and having it fixed, but my plan with this computer was just to hook up an LCD to it and use it as a downloading mule.

My question lies here(and it might be a dumb one) but does anyone think that this problem will transfer onto the ported monitor? I know for a fact the issue is within the monitor signal ribbon(I am able to flick the screen and move the arm at certain angles to which it will change/disappear)

I just want to cover my bases before I purchase another monitor.

here2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Screen Tear

If the problem is definitely with your laptop screen then the problem wo't exist when you connect it to an external monitor, as your graphics card and external port is fine. (presumably)

He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
In Runtime

If that was a solid black vertical bar from top to bottom I'd guess it was a failed segment of the backlight. But its grey, so you'll need to Google around to be sure its not the video card/on-board video chip.
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Can't you just hook it up and see? Borrow one from a friend or relative if you don't have one and don't want to purchase one - heck they won't even need to turn their computer off for you to check....
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Confirming your suspicion of faulty LCD panel, just hook up an external monitor as you suggested.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote