Scratching noise...

I uninstalled office, and i also went into msconfig and i cancelled a program from starting up... this program had no name, just was blank....wierd.

Anyway, the problem is gone... but so is my office suite...

I was only joking when I said uninstall Office, sheeeeeesh, did you remove the Office Quick Start from the start up folder? that was one of the primary options.

Not using HTML in email clients that used Word as their editor was the next, did you try both of those before you uninstalled Office? or did you not take any notice of the posts in the other thread at all? did you read any of the links? did you try any of the fixes found in your Google search results? or did you just disregard all that information in your blind panic that Winword.exe was a trojan despite being repeatedly reassured it wasn't?

Honestly mate, if you're not going to take any notice of the advice given you may as well not bother asking.

The blank entry in msconfig: Have a look at this and try the fix LINK

Once again, simply found, using Google

EDIT: As to the scratching noise, it may well be the hdd, but without a better description I could guess there is a cat in there trying to get out. :D Most hdd read/write heads become noisy with age, some disks do it from new, if you have S.M.A.R.T. monitoring enabled (assuming your disk(s) support it) you have nothing much to worry about until it informs you of imminent failure.

I tried every thing possible first.

I ran those online scans, I scanned with AVG, i tried hijack this, CW shredder, spybot search and destroy, msconfig, i made sure it wasn't in the start up, i did a system restore to before i thought the problem was occuring, and the problem still occured 70% CPU usage! ... everything...

An blank entry....
"It's also possible that entries like this can result from viruses and spyware."

If you ran all those scans and they turned up nothing I think it's safe to assume you have no virus problem, that many scans would not miss a virus.

I would reinstall Office, then open programmes you normally use checking cpu usage after opening each one until you find the culprit.

Did you navigate to the run key in your registry and identify what programme was causing the blank entry? I had one, turned out it was an auto run for Registry Mechanic.

"Did you navigate to the run key in your registry and identify what programme was causing the blank entry? I had one, turned out it was an auto run for Registry Mechanic."

I don't know how.

ddman said:
"Did you navigate to the run key in your registry and identify what programme was causing the blank entry? I had one, turned out it was an auto run for Registry Mechanic."

I don't know how.

I posted a link to a step by step walk through for you in post #13 of this thread, obviously you didn't read it so i'll repost:

CLICK THIS LINK TO READ THE ARTICLE

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=43960&highlight=Winword post #20

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/ana...rojtorpidc.html

"Troj/Torpid-C is a downloader Trojan.

When run, Troj/Torpid-C copies itself to the Windows system folder as winword.exe and creates the following registry entry in order to run each time a user logs on:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
winword
<Windows system folder>\winword.exe

Troj/Torpid-C will attempt to close security-related windows, such as those generated by firewall and anti-virus applications.

Back
Top Bottom