Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Scorched ATX plug

I was trying to trouble shoot my video issues, when I noticed that 3 pins on my ATX connector from the power supply were scorched. There was also some discoloration to the corresponding pins on the connection at the mobo.

I have a spare PSU, but I am wondering if using it will damage the mobo or new PSU? Or is my mobo already fried?

any help is appreciated!

Thanks

GVSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Scorched ATX plug

If the mobo connector is scorched i'm guessing it was hit by lightning and that the mobo is fried

Old 09-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Are you on a surge protector? That could determine whether the overvoltage was fatal or not, Could have been accelerated browning which may or may not have toasted teh board. (Heat may have built up and caused the plastic to only heat up in-turn).
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Baseband Member

Yesh, it has always been connected to a surge protector as far as I know.

It was my main computer for a couple of years, then I upgraded and gave it to my father. When my main computer went on the fritz, I reclaimed it, but it had started giving my dad problems not too long before I took it back.

So, not sure if it's something that happened while my dad had it or not.

The PSU atx plug is scorched much more severly than the mobo plug, but I'm not sure if that is just because the PSU plug is male and the mobo plug is female.

I've installed a new PSU into the box, but haven't yet tried to fire it up. waiting to hear back on whether or not that is a good idea.

any suggestions?

thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVSS View Post
Yesh, it has always been connected to a surge protector as far as I know.

It was my main computer for a couple of years, then I upgraded and gave it to my father. When my main computer went on the fritz, I reclaimed it, but it had started giving my dad problems not too long before I took it back.

So, not sure if it's something that happened while my dad had it or not.

The PSU atx plug is scorched much more severly than the mobo plug, but I'm not sure if that is just because the PSU plug is male and the mobo plug is female.

I've installed a new PSU into the box, but haven't yet tried to fire it up. waiting to hear back on whether or not that is a good idea.

any suggestions?

thanks!
you will really have to just plug it in and see what happens imo, if you take it to a shop they will probably just tell you that you need a new motherboard ASAP and try to sell you one...

I would try the other psu with it, but just connect what's needed for boot, 1 stick of memory, video card (preferably an older one you don't use anymore, even an old PCI or AGP one) and cpu, disconnect all your drives (power and data cables), the memory, video card and cpu may end up being martyrs in this case but at least you'll find out if the motherboard is still good...

it's up to you though, I don't want to try to encourage you either way because it'll be you that has to replace any parts that might get fried...

that's the only way you're gonna find out though...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Flip the switch. IMO, that's the only way to know...good luck....
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Fired up the computer when I got home from work today and it worked! loaded windows no problem.

So looks like everything else in the system is ok, we'll see how long it lasts.

If I start having issues soon, it probably means I having issues elsewhere in the system, but for now...woo hoo!

thanks for the help guys