Scared that I might mess up my computer. >.<

TheNerdal

In Runtime
So I upgraded the cpu and motherboard, but it didn't turn on because the front panel connectors were different, so I ordered a new case.

The problem is that underneath the cpu fan I still see a bit of cpu, I think. Every side is flush, but that end I still see it, I think. Maybe it's not the cpu because I see something green. ALSO, I put the cpu in the wrong way accidentally because I saw the arrow but it wasn't the right one. I checked the pins and no bent pins. When I unlock the cpu lock, I hear a big CLICK is that normal? I also touched the sides of the pins by accident. (I have big fingers.) Will anything happen to my computer or am I just being so worried for nothing? Thanks.

So nervous because this is the first time that I installed a CPU.

as long as the cpu felt study when you put it in the socket and that the clip went down on top and locked into place it should be fine. touching the pins is never a good idea due to ESD however im sure you will be fine as i have touched the pins many of times and had no problems. as long as the pins are not bent and the cpu and heat sink is fitted correctly then you will be fine. you can actually start the PC to test it without having the power button or a case. just short the two pins that the power button lead connects to. use a small screwdriver to make a contact between the two and the computer will start. this is all the power button does anyway.

Wow, thank you! Feel less worried now. Thanks! I'm pretty sure the heat sink is fitted correctly because it's locked in place (AMD). Did have trouble locking it though because of the tight area. Feel like I should ask another question. Oh yeah!

If I have an IDE cable with 3 IDE connectors that are each different colors (blue, grey and black), can I connect my optical drive and hard drive using that one IDE cable? And does it matter what color leads to what? I'm still new at cables.

Thanks, also I'm kind of confused about PSU's. What happens if I have a PSU that has too many watts?

The more watts on the psu the better. your computer will only use the wattage it needs and no more. You can have a 1000 w unit on the oldest crappiest computer. Just room for later improvement in the future. For example if you get a graphics card or another hard drive. If you can get a corsair psu. Their the best on the Market but are also the most expensive. Use this tool to see what amount of watts your components are likely to use and then get a unit that is about 100w more just to be safe.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Thanks, also I'm kind of confused about PSU's. What happens if I have a PSU that has too many watts?

That's just the amount it can handle up to. Say for amps on the rails (voltage lines). It might say 25 amps but it's not giving 25 amps, it's handling 25 amps. If somethnig drew 20, you'd have ~5 left over on that one line. Though when it says 12 volts, it really is giving it 12 volts +-5% usually. Incase you also had more psu questions. If you're ever able to, a very basic intro to electrical engineering helps a ton with this stuff. I took one in high school and for being basic it sure helps a lot with computers.

So a 800W PSU will be good enough for an average build? Thanks! That's pretty much all I had to ask.

So a 800W PSU will be good enough for an average build? Thanks! That's pretty much all I had to ask.

More than enough. I have a 550 corsair and I have a high end graphics card, high end quad core. 8 gb ddr3 1333 MHz ram and 3hard drives. Average rig I would say 500 w max Depends on your spec really.

Back
Top Bottom