scandisk

computerman1

Solid State Member
hi,
whenever i try to run disk cleanup it crashes. i googled the prob and this came up-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248
the only priob is im running windows ME and this is for XP as it says at the bottom.... any help would be appreciated.

HI, when ever I have my norton on and try to defrag my defrag crashes. If you have norton disable it, then try, it might sound stupid or crazy.

yo,
that didnt work for me.... i think u are talking about a differnet thing anyway. it dosent crash when i want to defragment my drive, just when i want to clean it up. the rerason u have to disable norton when u want to defrag your drive is cos norton is writing things to the drive or sommat like that.
thansk for ure reply anyways

Most accumulated files are temporary internet files-so open the explorer-choose tools,then delete your temp internet files and cookies if desired.
With winMe you can delete your temp files found in the windows folder manually.
Theres always more than one way to skin a cat.
You could try extracting the cleanup executable from your windows cd to your windows folder though my guess is that your problem resides in the windows registry.

Deleting your Temporary Internet Files would be a good idea - Cookies too if you know your saved passwords.

Check through you're computer's programs list - delete anything you don't like. Pictures and Videos take up a lot of space - check through them.

hi,
thanks lord k and gary, i deleted sum temp internet files, ran disk cleanup again and it worked....phew about 3 gig of space has been freed up!!!
thansk again for all your help

Back
Top Bottom