Saving my current info

toole13

In Runtime
I have to reinstall Windows XP because of validation issues. How do I reinstall Windows without losing any of the info I already have on my computer. I have a lot of game files and school Word documents that I don't want to lose. I can't put it on a flash drive because the biggest I have is a 128 MB. I called Microsoft but they were going to charge me $35 dollars to tell me how to do it. Thanks!

By reinstalling windows, do you mean Re-Install or format? If you reinstall windows none of your files will be deleted, whereas if you format, everything will be deleted...

Matt

What would it mean to format it? I am just going to reinstall it because I used the Re-Installation CD from a DELL computer to install it and that isn't legal. It tells me I have 30 days to Activate and so on. I can't though, because I don't have the original activation code. Microsoft told me the only thing I could do was to buy XP and put it on my computer (it's a custom built one). So I guess I'm re-installing, and not formatting. But what is formatting? Anyway, long explanation but it's worth it.

So u brought a new XP then? if so, just chuck the disc in, let it boot off it and follow the prompts to reinstall not format...then when its installing it will ask for a product key, just key in the new one, then it shoudl activate fine, and as long as you havnt formatted, all your files will still be there (If you see somethin that says format using the NTFS partition you have prob hit the wrong button lol so dont proceed)

Sorry i know i just confused ya :p

Matt

XP setup is asking me if I want to set it up on a clean partition or the existing one. Which one should I do?

cant you just enter another cd key on the activation screen... i remember doing that before...

image008.jpg

See at the bottom the change product key then talk to them on the phone if you gotta cuz then youll be using you CD key not the dells one

Im not sure if that will work, hes using a XP disc designed for a dell computer, so i still think he will get problems

I installed Windows the way I thought would be correct and by what you guys told me, and none of my stuff is there. Well it kind of is, like when I searched for Halo it found it but it asked me to install it again. And when I searched for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, it found it but whenever I tried to open it, it said there was an error and asked me to send the error to Microsoft. When I searched for a Word document it had it, but didn't have Word, so it opened it in a notepad file. When I boot up, it asks me which Windows XP I want to open and it gives me 30 seconds to choose. I don't know what that it. Lengthy explanation, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom