Satallite Internet?

Just curious if anybody has it? I don't have any other option currently. No DSL & No cable in my area. I've checked into it before and didn't want to pay $500 for the Satallite. But I see dish network has a new deal going. I was looking at the gold package.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/internet_access/high_speed/index.shtml#

I really think I may go for it since they have a lease dish fee of only $199. I know the price is way more than comparable cable or dsl though but its my only option. Do you think 1.0mb/s down 200kb/s up should be good enough to game on? $69.95 is pretty steep for those spec's but i'll be able to drop my 2nd phone line and current dial up ISP. So really the difference would only be $30 bucks.

1mb down is decent, but the ping will be HORRIBLE

because it has to send the signal up to the satellite, then back down to wherever, and it has to come back to you.

also check if there is a monthly limit to download usage!!

Since you said you have no other options I'd say that satellite internet is the only alternative for you. Those speeds aren't bad but I'd recommend 1MB or higher. The ping on satellite internet will be slow so online gaming might be a litle slower as far as ping goes.

troy272 said:
Since you said you have no other options I'd say that satellite internet is the only alternative for you. Those speeds aren't bad but I'd recommend 1MB or higher. The ping on satellite internet will be slow so online gaming might be a litle slower as far as ping goes.

ping will be a minimum of 300ms with it likely being 500ms

Just curious whats the average ping? I have somewhat of a idea what ping is but i've always lived outside of coverage areas. Also what would that mean I've played some games that don't require ultra high speed connections like soldier of fortune & need for speed. I know the game gets really choppy with dial up but I wanted to try it out. Is that the ping causing it or is it the actually connection?

ping is the amount of time it takes for the signal to reach the server and back from your computer. average is about 50-100ms

dont get premium, your ping will still be very high, i have 3mb down, 512up and i get a ping of 20-30 on bf2 and other games are about the same maybe 40, with my e510 (1gb ram, 3.0ghz p4 and x300) not an amazing gaming machine, would be decent if i had a good graphics card in it, so your pc has a pretty big difference, but your's looks pretty nice, your internet is really gonna mess online gaming up though...

it sux i bought a 800 doller sat and got on the 139 a month plan with hughs net and i still lag in games and my computer is fairly good besides i dont have a 8800 card but oh well....but yeah its not worth it maybe you can wiat for bright house or dsl...i sighned up for 15 months it sticks...but i live in the sticks so have no option but if you will gert it at ure house sooner skip it but if you do need some speed get it i dl fairly fast but soon as it rains ure screwed lol..

Back
Top Bottom