SATA Problems

viovio

Beta member
just installed a SATA 320gig WD 7200rpm. I put it in the SATA 1 socket on my Abit KV8pro 3rd eye mobo. the bios detects it. but i want to my IDE to have OS, and the sata to have all my download stuff. in bios it reads and sata and IDE Both Master, in windows it works but a few problems i get. im not trying to get a Raid. just a secondary HD as Sata for more space.

1. When using the SATA drive sometimes my Sound just CUTS. then i have to reboot the computer. if i transfer stuff to both HD's sound dies and restart.

2. booting up is incredibly Slow. 5mins to boot before sat used to take about 15seconds. now i know Sata are built for space not performance. and i heard audio corruptions with SATA with some boards.

the installation i followed:

1. Put the sata in.
2. setup in bios
3. formated sata in windows management system and created new volume

thats it.

if its ment to be slow then its fine i can wait for it load. but the audio thing does get annoying. please post replys:)

are you sure it's the SATA drive making everything screwed up? have you tried taking it out for awhile and see if all or some of the problems go away?

try uninstalling the SATA drivers and then putting them back on.

i pulled the sata out and everything was fine(normally). i checked the bios after and before i put the sata in. a few settings changed but when i put the sata back in i changed a few options in bios:

selected INT_PCI instead of INT_AGP or something and turned off SATA Raid and now its working good. no problems yet. thx for your help i wouldn't of noticed if i didn't compare bios with sata and non-sata. thx heaps

Just as a side-note, so many people have posted with SATA problems. Perhaps we should make a sticky thread? Just an idea.

This problem was differernt then most of the others. the otheers were having trouple installing windows on the SATA drive.

viovio said:
i pulled the sata out and everything was fine(normally). i checked the bios after and before i put the sata in. a few settings changed but when i put the sata back in i changed a few options in bios:

selected INT_PCI instead of INT_AGP or something and turned off SATA Raid and now its working good. no problems yet. thx for your help i wouldn't of noticed if i didn't compare bios with sata and non-sata. thx heaps

Your welcome.

Well, it may not have been the same problem, but it had a similar solution: turn off SATA RAID in the BIOS. Anyway, I think there should be a sticky thread for SATA troubles and what to do if you encounter a problem (most likely Windows not recognizing it).

" now i know Sata are built for space not performance"

Wrong. Performance is one of SATA's main features. Space...well...that all depends on the amount of platters and how much space is on each platter.

With western digital they only use UP TO 3 platters...I believe they have 125gb per platter max?

Back
Top Bottom