SATA hard drives not recognized!

HammerAuer

Beta member
Main issue: My new computer from Newegg either shows blinking cursor before Windows setup with SATA drive(s) plugged in and hard drive error after completing some of the initial setup (depending on BIOS options).

CPU: 3.6GHz Prescott Pentium 4

MB: Asus P5WD2 Premium Socket T Intel 955X ATX

Memory: 1 stick of 1GB DDR2 800; Crucial Ballistix 1GB 240-Pin

No IDE hard drives

2 SATA hard drives: Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA and Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2

XFX Geforce 7800 GTX

LITE-ON IDE DVD Burner Model SHOW-1693S

Thermaltake SILENT 775 CL-P0092 CPU fan

Asus P5WD2 MB has shown many problems for users that connect their CD or DVD ROM driver to PRI_EIDE or SEC_EIDE (red ports) instead of the blue port on the side. My DVD ROM is in the “correct” blue IDE port.

With standard BIOS settings, before the Windows setup starts, my computer sticks on a blinking cursor screen. I can get into the Windows setup if I change the SATA operating mode from “enhanced” to “compatible” in the BIOS.

After Windows setup starts, I press F6 and wait to load my SATA drivers. I've tried both the SATA drivers that came on the MB CD and the SATA drivers from Western Digital's website. I've also tried _NOT_ loading SATA drivers. Regardless, I get the following error right after it loads the drivers:

“Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your system” or something to that effect. It suggests that I don't have any hard drives at all. It then prompts me to reboot. This is where I am stuck.

Here's some more information of interest:

* The BIOS can see my SATA drives.
* All fans are working. No heat issues.

If you think you have some help for me, I wouldn't mind an email since I'm not sure how often I'll check this particular forum.

Joel Auernheimer
REALTY EXECUTIVES
ja21@nospam.cox.net
http://www.SERVICEandINTEGRITY.com

Back
Top Bottom