Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-24-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
Golden Master

Default Sapphire and Radeon

What's the difference?

Old 12-24-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Sapphire and Radeon

Well, I think ("think" is the key word here) that Sapphire is a company, and Radeon is a type of video card. I've seen Sapphire Radeon 7200's, for example (that'd be old, too ). I think if it is just Radeon it's a genuine ATi-made card.

But that's just what I've come to believe.

Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 01:36 AM   #3
Golden Master

Oh man, that is so confusing why they do that. I'm not an ATI person so I'm just trying to catch up on what's down with them. I thought Sapphire was a competitor to the Radeon both owned by ATI or something like that. I was just thinking if that was true, how wierd is that to have two competing graphic boards going at each other internally? I guess Nvidia has the Geforce and the Quadro so I don't know.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:39 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

But isn't the Quadra a special type of graphics card? I thought it had some special attribute to it that separated it from the rest of Nvidia's line, perhaps something to do with four ______ (as in I don't know what it could be) since that's the root of the name of the card.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:40 AM   #5
Golden Master

I have no clue, but I hear the Quadro is geared towards workstations and stuff. They cost a bundle too. I don't touch anything but an nvidia geforce supported chipset.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:48 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

I agree with you about those GeForce's! Great pieces of machinery.

I knew the Quadro was for something else... I think it may be for engineering applications.

I just did some scouting on Newegg and all of their Quadro's are made by PNY Technologies and a lot of them support dual to quad monitor support (I think...) and they also have very high resolution capabilities. One reviewer said it works great for AutoCAD, which is an architectural program (my dad's an architect and I help him occassionally) and I can see why one would want a high resolution with that.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:49 AM   #7
Golden Master

If they are capable of that kind of process, I wonder why they're not popular with gamers? They've got to be badasses with games.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:51 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

But the core and memory clocks aren't very high. So, basically, all that resolution would be wasted because you couldn't run any games at the high ones. I don't know! It kind of works against itself, doesn't it!
Old 12-24-2005, 01:54 AM   #9
Golden Master

Personally, I don't know anybody that owns a Quadro video card. Most people own geforces and the older TNT cards. Wow, that is museum quality right there. I guess the geforce and Quadro are so different, that games and research require different video card specs.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:56 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

I guess so. But I still wonder why they are so expensive! I can't find anything in the specifications that would separate their prices that much! Except for the resolution, I can't think of anything.

Also, are there monitors that can actually use those kinds of resolutions?!