same thing...diff price...why?

rahxephon1

Baseband Member
well im planning to buy a new processor(the intel e6600 2.40 ghz) and i came upon 2 processors....that are the same from what i can see (i dont know much about cpus) but they have different prices and i was wondering why? and if i went for the cheaper one what would be the difference. Im upgrading from a 2.8 pent D.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2280512

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2341562

you chech the list of processors they have by going to tigerdirect.ca if you have a better processor i should buy for a 300$ price range (canadian dollars)

thanks for your help

That's an awesome processor. I have it, it's great.

The difference is that the cheaper one is OEM. That means it does not come with a heatsink/fan which is required for use. It's just the processor wrapped in a static proof bag, and you need to buy a heatsink and some thermal paste separately.

Whereas with the retail version comes with a fan, and has instructions.

If you're new to upgrading processors, get the retail version.

The first one is OEM. You're buying just the CPU. That would be what you need, really. The other one is Retail. It comes with the heatsink, and all the shmasy things inside. The OEM doesn't have a box.

usually if you already have a cooler and what not you just get an oem or if you are planning on buying an aftermarket cooler you can get the oem version as the stock cooler would not be needed

freestyler105 said:
He's in Canada, newegg doesn't ship outside the U.S.

it would make even MORE money then it is if it did but the shipping would be much slower as the most far north wharehouse is in NJ i belive

Well seing as how im upgrading wouldnt the heatsink and fan on my pentium D fit on the other processor? there both 775skt and would i actually need beter cooling then what i have right now? Because right now my comp gives off almost no heat what so ever....my old computer used to turn my room into a sona and it sucked.

thanks for your replies.

Doesn't make too much of a difference. The Pentium D heatsink should fit the LGA775 bracket fine, but to be safe you could always buy the retail version. Doesn't hurt to do so.

Back
Top Bottom