Safety Procedures?

Impruv

In Runtime
I am about to move an HP computer into my new case and was wondering what are the safety procedures I need to do before touching all the delicate hardware. I know you have to ground yourself and everything, so please tell me exactly what to do. I don't have any of those antistatic bands or whatever and I was hoping I don't have to spend money to buy that. Thanks in advance! I want to make sure I don't break any of my components while changing into the new case :eek:

Ok, here's what I would do. I hate those anit-static wrist straps and such and will never wear one. They get into the way and annoying.

ALWAYS have one hand or arm touching the metal chassis of the case. I know it can be hard to do this especially when you're handling parts, but you'll know soon enough once you can figure out a comfortable position. I usually touch the case first to get rid of the static buildup. Then immediately handle the parts carefully on the edges, NEVER on the surface where all the IC's, bus, etc are. Insert it and repeat the procedure again. If you work high on a worktable, this will be easier. My arms are always touching the case when I have the parts in my hand.

Insert components evenly on both sides and push down gently. Make sure everything's lined up correctly before doing this. Secure. My instructor taught me that one hand rule by the way and I always got in the habit of doing it. As long as you are grounded in some way, you should be safe. There are anti-static mats, wrist straps you can get, but not necessary if you know what you are doing.

Also; the case I'm getting has no removable mobo tray so would it be a good idea to get a magnetic screw driver? to keep the screws on the driver?

My PC teacher told me NEVER to use magnetic screwdrivers. Only amaetures do that and end up regretting it later.

Apply a piece of tape if you have to or use your fingers as guide. Please don't use anything magnetic around PC.

i think its perfectly safe to use a magnetic screwdriver just dont leave it on top of the hard drive or ram or anything else for that matter, as for the anti static wrist strap ive never bothered with any of that stuff or even touching a case the whole time, i just dont do it on carpet and touch the case every now and then and ive never hard a problem

Well, I don't have a carpet floor... :) ...So I guess I don't have to worry about that. I have laminate wood flooring so I guess I'm good...Do i need to wear rubber slippers or something? rubber shoe soles?

you guys do realize that computer cases are painted and that when you touch it you aren't touching bare metal, so therefore aren't grounded? thats why when you clip one of those wrist straps to the case you have to move it back and forth a bit to scrape off the paint. I'd get one of those static mats to work on if I were you.

Well im a dumbsh*t
i put my computer (custom) together in one day, on the floor(carpet) with no safety precautions at all, i didn't think there were any, and my comp is better than ever and used a magnetic screwdriver.
seriuously, i didn't know it was a big deal

You can use a magnetic screwdriver if you are very careful where not to touch. It's just a lot easier not using a magnetic screwdriver for safety precautions. I've built PCs on the carpet before too. No big deal as long as you are constantly grounded. Just touch the case and 'zap', release some of that static discharge. Don't you just hate it how it hurts real bad when you discharge it through the fingertips?

Back
Top Bottom