Safe to connect to wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where was I wrong?

Easy, you are assuming it's his network or a free public network. However "tap into" typically means you are not supposed to go there, kinda like tapping into your girlfriends bank acocunt. It's the same kind of concept. Had he said "log onto" it would be totally different.

I'm required to treat this like I would torrents. It may just be legal, but I can't allow it on the chance that it isn't. So drop it.

Celergorm I understand where you are coming from, you being a moderator can't condone any activity that might be illegal.

I was mostly asking Dodge Stratus if he cared to engage in a conversation about what "wrong altogether" meant while also exploring my researching abilities as it relates to his differing opinion on the subject that has so far been mostly undefined.

Then I hoped we could investigate Dodge Stratus's feeble warning about a ban at some future time, let's say 1000 years in the future where he could actually become a moderator and execute his prophetic warning by banning all those with differing opinions and ruling the internet from a rusted out domestic automobile.

As the original poster, I am totally confused. If the person who owns a wireless network would like it private, why would they not secure it in the first place? By keeping it open, doesn't it mean anyone can 'use' the connection?

As the original poster, I am totally confused. If the person who owns a wireless network would like it private, why would they not secure it in the first place? By keeping it open, doesn't it mean anyone can 'use' the connection?

I see your point.

But if I left my front door open 'by accident' or through 'ignorance' I wouldn't like tom, dick, harry or anyone else to come on in and help them selves although if they did it would be my fault. Thats why I make sure that this doesn't happen. Although there are many people that think it's still ok to leave keys under rocks, windows open while their out and doors unlocked, like the old days and until they become a victim they won't change.

People who leave their wireless communications un secure do so cause they dont think they have to protect them in the first place.

They usually wise up when they spot other computers hooked to their network...

hey, if they don't secure their wireless router, that's a invite for someone to use it.
it's not illegal. your wireless card will connect to the strongest signal if you don't set it manually to connect to your router.(at least mine does)

just remember if you do use someone elses router, they can see your files.
my neighbor thought he was being sneaky using my router. I just used that oportunity to browse his files.
one day he mentioned he had to finally get his own internet because someone got rid of theirs. he has no clue it was me. And that I kicked him off my router via it's security settings. LOL

hey, if they don't secure their wireless router, that's a invite for someone to use it.

just remember if you do use someone elses router, they can see your files.
my neighbor thought he was being sneaky using my router. I just used that oportunity to browse his files.

That's like taking a dump of the side of the bridge while trying to make a cell phone call:

-It's illegal
-You're probably gonna get caught
-If it drops in the wrong spot there's gonna be a mess

Just keep in mind the legal ramifimuffins you might run into.

it's not illegal.
there is no law against him connecting to my router using my internet.
for your info, the FCC requires all devices to be able to accept inteference.
such as you hearing someone else on a walkie talkie etc
which is why you shouldn't conduct business on a cordless phone.

it's not illegal.
there is no law against him connecting to my router using my internet.
for your info, the FCC requires all devices to be able to accept inteference.
such as you hearing someone else on a walkie talkie etc
which is why you shouldn't conduct business on a cordless phone.

If it's done with your your permission it is. It's considered a form of theft.

I would please like someone to show me a link to a law in the U.S. that says it is illegal to connect to an open router.

I'll wait..............

is it hell illegal nicking his tinternet, that's like geetting a scanner and scanning into poilce, now a days you need a licence for a scanner, do you need one for the tinternet? only illegal thing is when you hack into a password to access the internet, if you aint got a pass then get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom