Is This Safe?

b182tm said:
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if it is safe to plug in your PSU to the wall, and nothing else, just to test it to see if it works? Will that damage the PSU at all, or should it be fine to do?
Thanks a lot,
Derek

Plugging it in the wall does nothing even if the kill switch is on. In the large plug you should see a green wire. There will only be one. Using a wire or insulated paper clip with the ends striped off, jump the green wire to a black wire. This is the same thing the motherboard does when you press the case button. If 12volts is working the the psu fans will come on. Plug in a fan from the case to check the leads for 12volts. The other voltages will have to be read with a meter.

Hey everyone. After my PSU sparked, I went to turn the PSU back on. It did not respond or anything, so I unplugged it from everything and just tried it in the wall. It did not turn on, so I assumed it was dead...So could that mean that while it was in the case, and it didn't respond, it was because the mobo was dead? Or would it do something even if the mobo was dead? But then again, I heard the spark, and then it wouldn't turn on....I don't know...Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

no, your psu died, but hopefully it didn't damage your motherboard any. just plug the new psu into the mobo and fire it up, you'll find out real quick.

By the way, what are the chances of my memory, hdd, vid. card, dvd drives, and processor being dead?

That's a huge relief... By the way, what do u mean I'll find out real quick? It just won't start? Also, do you recommend, this time around, just plugging in the mobo, instead of the drives and hdd?

Back
Top Bottom