Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Is s**t Compaq Presario 5000 standard ATX case w/ a good enough power supply?

Hey, my friend has a shit computer.

A Compaq Presario 5000, something liek 800mhz P3, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD, pretty crap. Looks like this.

He wants an upgrade (who wouldn't) All he wants it to run XP without too many major slow downs. Just a web browsing machine.

So I am thinking, since I used to own one of these, I remember the CD drives were IDE as well as the hard drive. Nothing special there. Floppy drive was standard.

But what about the case and motherboard layout? I was thinking, just buy a new motherboard with some ram and a CPU, heatsink, video card and I am good to go!

But can I swap out motherboards? Is this a standard ATX case? I am not worrying about 20 or 24 pin PSU, but is the PSU good? Like anyone know the wattage? I will post the motherboard and such I am thinking of running later, can anyone tell me if this PSU will work or be overloaded?

i want a laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Is shit Compaq Presario 5000 standard ATX case w/ a good enough power supply?

Mate, Compaq site, search the specs

If you're upgrading to a new m/board etc then I would hazard that a P3 era psu is not going to be up to the task, factor a new psu into your costings.

E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
In Runtime

Default Re: Is shit Compaq Presario 5000 standard ATX case w/ a good enough power supply?

Checked the site couldn't find anything. I'll just ask my friend to check the back of his computer...and as for the case I am going to scrap it. I'll just buy him one.

This is what I am looking at for the core of the system.

Motherboard-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186129
CPU-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116039
I might overclock the CPU.

As for overclocking, I am thinking maybe picking up one of these, it looks decent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835119092

And of course some arctic silver 5.

But the CPU FSB is 800mhz and the mobo is only 533...will this be a problem?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
Site Team

hahahahaha I used to own that exact same computer. Had windows ME on it..ME was a dog. From memory the PSU was only like 200 or 250W and no 4pin 12volt connector so would be no good for a P4 or above capable mobo.
Not sure about mobo size but I know that the risers were actual lugs which were part of the case so it's probably a wise choice not to use it as there are no other holes in the case to screw new risers into if they don't line up.

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
In Runtime

Default Re: Is s**t Compaq Presario 5000 standard ATX case w/ a good enough power supply?

Ya I am going to go with a new case and a new PSU.

Can't decide what CPU and motherboard combo to go with though.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
BSOD

Default Re: Is s**t Compaq Presario 5000 standard ATX case w/ a good enough power supply?

to "i want a laptop", how rude! that computer isn't shit, its just old. i bet when it was new, you'da killed to have one.

now if it was running a Celeron, then i'd have to agree with you. those were shit from the start
umakemebetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Good luck finding a board that'll support a P3. Best off just buying a new computer.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

A decent AMD/Intel microATX motherboard should fit in there with a modest PSU.

This computer isn't going to do anything intensive so 1GB RAM, a 'value for money' CPU and, maybe, a nice GPU.

Although for browsing the web you could get a motherboard with a good enough GPU on board.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by umakemebetter View Post
to "i want a laptop", how rude! that computer isn't shit, its just old. i bet when it was new, you'da killed to have one.

now if it was running a Celeron, then i'd have to agree with you. those were shit from the start
they were running a celeron...and yes it was shit

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Good luck finding a board that'll support a P3. Best off just buying a new computer.
Did that just get ignored?

Odds are it's a SLOT 1 motherboard. If he's lucky, it's a socket 370 and newegg only has one of those: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136011

Lowndsey, you wouldn't happen to remember if that had a proprietary motherboard would you? I know a good portion of them had proprietary PSU's but I'm not sure about the Mobo.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote