S.M.A.R.T. Problem

cajunglen

Beta member
I have a gateway e-3400 running XP, boot starts ok then gets error that
S.M.A.R.T. command failed to execute. press F1 to continue. HDD is supposed to be smart enabled, Can't find smart in BIOS setup to disable it. Can find no reference to SMART in msconfig.
Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem? I can't press F1 from
a remote connection at boot.
NEED HELP!!!

Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology S.M.A.R.T. is a technology that enables a PC to predict the future failure of hard disk drives.
So in your case it is enabled, so you have to find it in your BIOS. It is there in your BIOS, you'll just have to go through each sections point by point. You can't miss it. Once you've found it, you might have to use the page up/down or arrows to disable it. Then check to save and exit which is typically F10

Thanks for the reply Zero4Zero, but I guess I didn't
make the problem clear. the BIOS setup doesn't contain this item and the BIOS setup is not available
now that this problem has occured because when booting the error is before I can enter Bios, then F1
continues boot and F1 (BIOS Call) is no longer available. See the problem? maby I can flash the bios with one that has S.M.A.R.T. in the menue, but I have no clue as to whitch one. Thanks again,

cajunglen

Are your jumpers on your hard drives well placed. I would place both in the CS (cable select) position and see what happens next.
Now that I see that this problem happen before the BIOS kicks in, there is the possibility that the BIOS is recorded on your hard disk (some companies like Compaq have it this way). So if the mobo cannot get to the rom bios, then it has no information on what to do!

It's a warning...

When a smart command fails to execute it may be a sign of a hard drive failure in the works.
Take the drive out and install it as a slave to another system. Then back it up.
Flashing a bios to another version may or may not give you access to the smart enable/disable commands. But in all seriousness it's not really smart to turn it off...

Back
Top Bottom