Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Running programs off ext. HDD

I read somewhere a couple months ago that you can run programs (like a BitTorrent client) off an external hard drive. I'm pretty sure it was a Network Attached Storage drive.

I want to know if you can do this with any NAS or is it specific make/model? I figure you'd need a processor to run programs so it doesn't really make sense to me.

I ask this because when I go to college I will get a laptop. I plan on getting a minimalist laptop and this would be perfect with one of these Network Attached Storage/Bit Torrent hard drives. Then I could keep my laptop free of clutter and I wouldn't need a huge hard drive in it, and I could also run torrents while I'm in class.

UsernameTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi
Default Re: Running programs off ext. HDD

well i mean the harddrive cant actually run the whole program off of it, however you can install programs on a network drive and run those from the network drive, thats what i do with my bittorrent's, i just install it on my networked harddrive, i mean sure it takes some processing power from the other computers, but not that much and it keeps the harddrives on my everyday computers clean and fast, so to sum it up, yes you can do it, just install the program on that harddrive instead of your regular harddrive

-Desktop- Dual Monitor, Q8200 2.34Ghz, 8GB, 1TB, XFX 6850, 7 Ultimate
-ASUS UL50- SU7300, 4GB, 500GB, G210M, 7 Home Premium 64, XP Pro
-HP NC6400- Core Duo 1.86Ghz, 2.5GB, 64GB SSD, x1300, XP Pro
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Send a message via AIM to CompMan

Yea but it not as fast as a hard drive connected directly to your computer.
|Intel Q6600@3.0ghz||ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA||2GiG Corsair XM2 DDR2 800||EvGa 8800GTS||36gig Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm||Ultra X2 connect 550W modular psu||Thermaltake Tsunami Case|Vista 64bit|
Windows has Blue screens, Mac has grey screens, and CF has White screens!!
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT Titanium Grey, Greddy Exhaust, AEM cold air intake
--objects in rearview get smaller with each shift--
CompMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
Golden Master

Yeah, running things like games over a network will give you a performance hit. The top speed of a CAT5 cable is 100 MBPS, where the top speed of a SATA cable is 384 MBPS.
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
Baseband Member

I found it! before I posted I searched on Google but couldn't find anything, all the results were Nas rap album torrents

ADS Tech NAS Drive Kit featuring "P2P BitTorrent Client." My idea is this: have the laptop with me for class and at home have a docking station with screen, mouse, and keyboard, and have this NAS Drive Kit thing. Could I have this and run my torrents purely off the NAS drive kit or would it only work when my laptop is connected? I want to be able to run torrents while it is not connected to any computer. This would let me continue the torrents when I'm in class, and eliminate the need for a desktop PC just for torrents, browsing, etcetera.

I also saw other products which may or may not be essentially the same thing just different brands and I believe a few included hard drives. They were called: Kuro Box, LinkStation, and QNap Turbo Station TS-101/201.

I'm really confused and please let me know if I am confusing you as well
UsernameTaken is offline   Reply With Quote