Router on UPS, good or bad?

sloth90

Solid State Member
i have a teracom router which i used to connect to my UPS.
today, i went to buy the battery for the UPS as it went dry, and the person there suggested me not to connect my router to the UPS.

i'm using a 600VA/360W UPS and i connect it to my lcd and cpu along with the router.
would it be okay if i continue this? coz i haven't had a prob in the past.

THere is no reason why you can't, or even shouldn't. The battery will run dry for three reasons: age, reoccurring power flashes/outages/brownouts, and dirty lines that constantly fluctuate. In the last two cases, the battery is always discharging to keep a clean current to your device. The UPS doesn't care what's plugged into it, only what the power that it's receiving from the wall is doing.

If it puts you at ease, My modem, router and three switches are all on a UPS.

I was just mentioning that the battery went dry, and that is the reason i approached the person. :)

He said that in case of power fluctuations, there may be some high voltage that might enter (?? sorry for the terminology) the UPS and may affect the unit. (I'm sure he was referring to cable connection ). Mine is DSL.

A router wouldn't overload my UPS, right? I'm asking coz 600VA/360W is what i use, and my SMPS is 450/500v( don t remember properly) and i dont know how much my LCD consumes.

Anyways, thanks for replying.

you'd need a lot of routers to overload that unit.

Odds are, what he meant was that a higher voltage could be comming out of the wall, so the UPS was using battery to give your device a more steady, workable voltage. Think of the UPS as a switch. When power is gone, voltage too high or voltage too low, it switches and drains from the battery. Depending on the stability of your power lines, this might be happening a few times a day without you noticing which puts extra wear on the battery over time. This would have happened even with no devices plugged into the unit.

Back
Top Bottom