Router Problem (Not really)

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Ok problem is kind of complicated. First let's get a few things stragiht:

1. I dont use AOL, my dad does. I despise it
2. My dad has AOL in charge of everything (he uses this antivirus thing they offer, AOL Port magic, and some other stuff).

---------

Alright here's the problem. When I try to get to the internet through aol (firefox and IE doesn't work on it either) I get an error saying that the firewall (windows xp firewall) is not allowing AOL access to the internet. Now I know this is malarky because the Firewall IS allowing AOL acess to the internet. And IE says simply it can not connect to the server for any site i try to vist. Same with firefox. If I restart the computer AOL's 'port magic' program will tell me it has no connection to the router. I go to the router ,(its a linksys WIRED router), Take out all the connection from the computers, and plug them back in in the same spots. Then I hit the reset button on the router, and voila (sp?) the internet is backup. However, half an hour later.... I return to the computer to check it out furthermore, and to my suprise the internet is down again. I do the same remedy as before, and the internet is backup. This is extremly annoying, especially since my router is in my basement. What could be causing my problem?

PS:

ONLY ONE of the computers in the household out of a total of four, all hooked up to the same router, is getting this problem.

If I found out which cable was the cable from the problemed computer, and then changed the slot that it is plugged into, anychance this will help it?

Also one of the wires is VERY SLIGHTLY frayed, could this be causing it? I mean a very small fray, not the actuall wires but something involving the tubing it looks like. Could this be the problem, or no?

Ok heres what u do
Install aol on your computer SO PORT MAGIC will be enabled on both computer(that dont mean u have to log into aol) ....is simple and it work just ignore aol beign installed delte icon and rename the program foler if u want lol

sry i just actually read threw it uhhh try whats i said if u havent reinstall software all those goods and the fry might just be the problem

its not just AOL that cant connect, its Internet explorer and firefox too, so it cant be a problem with AOL itself.

maybe its the router.... i had a motorola i think.....and ports 3 and 4 didnt work..... wuz strange ya router mgith have a warranty and did u buy it or did your provider give it to u?

attempting to find out what cable belongs to my dads computer, then switching the port its in. A friend gave it to us, so no warranty (a computer friend who works for my dad). Ill edit this post when I see if switching the port works.

PS:
Exgamer, no offense, but it makes your posts a little easier if you read over them right for grammar. I can understand them, but sometimes i find myself reading over your post from 3-5 times to get the right meaning out of it. I'm no grammar student myself, and somethings like u for you, and stuff like that, but if you proofread your posts once i'd appreciate it ;). Not trying to be mean or anything like that.

EDIT

I cant find out which cable is for each computer in my router by unplugging each one and seeing which computer doesnt work, because most of the computers in this house have passwords. And the people who know them are out galavanting. Anyother way to find out which cable belongs to which computers?

Is the screen on their desktop...or is on like a screensaver. If it's screensave i think if you unplug the connection a pop up should come up saying that internet connection is lost so you might be able to tell by the one that goes off screen saver.

i tried using a different port for my dads computer when i found out which cable was for his computer. There was 2 empty ones, and neither one worked/made the problem go bye-bye. The internet works for a lil while, then it stops and i have to unplug and plug the cables and press the reset button on the router.

AOL's port magic says a connection to the router could not be established, while when you try to conect through AOL it says a firewall is blocking it (which is bullshit-izzle since i checked if windows firewall was allowing it and it was). As i said before IE and firefox dont work either.

I be sry about muh grammar sum is just the way i type outta habit and for being 15 i type fast az hell lol... 100 words or so....buh i get mixed up....Stuff like iz,muh,dis,diz is just the way i am...

I typed that in a second lol i forget to proof read buh i did slow down..

Back
Top Bottom