router problem

hey im setting up my bosses wireless net work for work
but its not letting me on the router
it keeps saying limmited to no connectitivty i have no idea :confused:
its a regular linkys wireless G

What's the model of the cisco router and whats the port configuration?

Due to the fact your not using a consumer router, it complicates things a bit. Could easily be plugging into a DMZ or something :D

ok im at home now so i can explain better
i believe that the cisco router maybe defective
let me start from the beginning
my boss asked me if i new how to install a wireless router and i told her yes
it should be pretty easy =/
she brings in a linkeys router from best buy
and i look over by the internet connection
its plugged into this big ass cisco router (no wireless)
i plugged the wireless router (where the internet comes in)
to the second port on the back of the cisco router
now i can connect to the router just fine i fixed that problem
but i can not gain internet through it
so i plugged the laptop hard wired into the cisco router it does not work in any of the ports and i even changed the cord
but there is one computer in the front that gains internet from the first port
but non of the others work
so i have no idea what to do..... haha and i cant f** up any thing
cuz we need internet on that front computer
sooooo im lost
and what ive been wondering is
do we even need that cisco router
should i just put every thing into the linkys?
hes a diagram of the set up
dambitch-1.jpg

green-works
red-not working

Do you have DCHP enabled on the wireless? With my little experiance doing what your trying to do, I had to disable the DCHP on the second rounter, and set it as an Access point, not a Gateway/router or whatever the linksys calls itself.

Here's what you do:

1. I assume you haven't done anything with the Cisco router and it has been working this whole time. By the looks of your drawing though, your laptop doesn't seem to be able to communicate with the Cisco router. iI believe its because your Cisco router is not issuing DHCP, but in fact you have to statically assign computers (and wireless routers:) ) with ip addresses. Go to the front computer that does work, and open command prompt and enter ipconfig /all and write down all the info. You need this info for step 5. And while you have the command prompt open ... ping an address that is likely to NOT be in use. I.E. if the front pc's ip address is 10.1.1.5, then try pinging 10.1.1.6. If you get 4 "request timed - out's" then it's probably safe to say that is an address you can use later to assign to the Linksys wireless router in step 5.

2. Reset the Linksys wireless router to factory defaults.

3. From the Cisco router select a LAN port, run an ethernet cable to a LAN port on the Linksys Wireless router ... NOT THE INTERNET PORT. Yes ... you read that right ... not the internet port. :) ***Think of your Linksys wireless router as another computer on the network and it's only job is to pass/forward DHCP requests between the Cisco router and other computers that connect wirelessly. So Linksys Wireless router has to use a LAN port ... like a regular computer.***

4. Take your laptop and using another ethernet cable, plug into a different LAN port on the Linksys wireless router. Allow your laptop to receive its IP address automatically via DHCP from the Linksys wireless router ... for now. You may need to right click on the network connection and do a repair in order to renew your ip configuration. Or you can do an ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew. After you're up again, do another ipconfig /all and write this info down. You'll need this for steps 5 & 10.

5. Log into the Linksys wireless router (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 - the default gateway from the info you gathered in step 4.) In basic setup, set your WAN address to static ip (its defaulted to receive dynamically) and assign it a static ip address from the subnet of your Cisco router. ***Here is where you would use 10.1.1.6, if that is the address you found NOT in use from step 1) Put in the subnet mask and default gateway that the Cisco router uses as well (you gathered this info earlier when you had your laptop plugged into the Cisco router and did ipconfig /all).

6. Continuing in basic setup, turn off DHCP. Don't worry, you will still be able to continue configuring the wireless router until you exit setup. I'll explain later how to log back into the router after we're done.

7. Most linksys wireless routers have an Advanced Setup area as well. Here is where you will tell it to be a "router" not a "gateway". I know ... this is ass-backwards, but that is how it is supposed to be in order to turn the wireless router into an access point and allow the Cisco router to issue DHCP through to computers via wireless.

8. Configure your wireless security ... WEP, WPA or whatever you choose.

9. You're done.

10. Now in order to log back into the Linksys wireless router at a later time, all you have to do is manually assign your Local Area Connection of your laptop an ip address from the subnet of the LAN configuration of the Linksys wireless router. If you wrote down the ipconfig info I told you to in step 4, just put in the info from that and you should be golden. The reason you have to do this is because you turned off DHCP of the wireless router ... however the LAN subnet is still there ... you just have to put your laptop back on that subnet. Understand?

I know this is a lot of info and could seem overwhelming ... but if you take the time and read each step carefully and follow them, you're going to look like a genius to your boss.

Good luck ... hope this helped.

lol i no i was not expecting that
i might go the easyer way to
all my boss needs is 2 computers with internet
i might just use the linkyes and see if i can return the
cisco one that she doesn't need to cable vision

Well ... guide or not it works ... even if esa193 doesn't use it. :) In fact, I just did this at my work in 3 different locations/sites. I'm not using Cisco routers (I do have PIX firewalls in place) but am using 2K3 Domain Controllers that issue DHCP/DNS/WINS to my subnets/networks and have wireless laptops that needed to join the domain. So this is how I did it.

oh i forgot to say its plugged into the back of another hard wired router could that cause any problems?
becouse nbow ir eset all the settings and im connected just fine but i can not get on the internet

yes this creates a problem because two routers are trying to assign IP's... on the second router (the one plugged into the back of the other) see if there are any settings like "use a an accesspoint". or figure out a way to turn of DHCP.

yes this creates a problem because two routers are trying to assign IP's... on the second router (the one plugged into the back of the other) see if there are any settings like "use a an accesspoint". or figure out a way to turn of DHCP.

This has already been pointed out & potentially resolved in explaining how to turn the Linksys wireless router into an access point.

Forgot about one last thing you will need to do. Since it appears your Cisco router is not issuing DHCP, you'll need to configure your wireless adapter on the laptop with IP address info that matches the subnet of the Cisco router prior to connecting with the Linksys wireless router. So ... back to the front pc and ping a new address for availability ... i.e. 10.1.1.7 with request times outs.

OR ... you could just configure the Cisco router to enable DHCP. :)

Back
Top Bottom