router

Ahh...not really. If he's still dumb enough to unhook it, then everyone AND him will be without internet and he'll just complain it's not working.

REread what I posted. If you implemented this plan, then when he goes and still unplugs it, not only will everyone AND him be without internet, but he'll complain about it, too.

Personally, can't you just tell your brother to stop doing so? Instead of looking at other ways in making everyone elses lives miserable.

This isn't really worth all the effort. You can't really do what your asking. Why does he do this anyway? Does he know that the computer works when it's plugged into the router and that he doesn't have to move it?

Here's my only suggestion:

1. Hook up the router and make sure you have internet.
2. Go to START > RUN > type CMD > in the black box that pops up type IPCONFIG/all
3. Write down the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and dns servers.
4. Hook up the computer by bypassing the router (directly from the modem like your brother does).
5. Do the same thing as #2.
6. Make sure that the numbers are different. If they are the same this won't work.
7. Hook up the computer to the router again.
8. Go to START > CONTROL PANEL > depending on the view you'll need to go to (a)Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections OR (b)right to Network Connections.
9. Once in Network Connections double click on your Local Area Connection.
10. Click PROPERTIES.
11. In the box in the middle of the window, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and highlight it and click PROPERTIES
12. Put the 'dot' in USE THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS and put in the matching numbers from step #2. Do the same for USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER and put in that info from step #2 as well.
13. Hit OK, OK, Close, etc until your back to the Network Connections window.
14. Make sure you can still get on the internet.
15. If so, hook it up like your brother and see what happens.

You could configure the computer your brother plugs into (when he unplugs the modem from the router) to a static IP address. That way it would work through the router, but wouldn't work plugged directly to the modem.

[edit]
Ooops! Looks like jmacavali beat me to it.

Well, I kind of beat you both to it, lol :p, but I wasn't going to write him out instructions to solve a problem that could be solved by simply reprimanding his brother. :rolleyes:

;)
Well, I kind of beat you both to it, lol :p, but I wasn't going to write him out instructions to solve a problem that could be solved by simply reprimanding his brother. :rolleyes:

If his little brother is anything like my little brother reprimanding him won't work. You are due credit for your answer, which was before us.

[edit] I stand corrected! I missed post #7, you were first. But, jmacavali wasn't as lazy as us, and spelled it out in detail

;)

If his little brother is anything like my little brother reprimanding him won't work. You are due credit for your answer, which was before us.

[edit] I stand corrected! I missed post #7, you were first. But, jmacavali wasn't as lazy as us, and spelled it out in detail

Haha. No no...I was just being sarcastic with the "first one to post it" thing :p. Don't take it seriously or anything. Haha.

But, you could always try giving your siblings a swift kick in the a$$. Haha. But, I guess I shouldn't be the one to give advice. I'm an only child.

Back
Top Bottom