Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2006, 03:05 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 198
Default Router

I need a router for my dsl connection.

Im stoked, never used a router before but Im getting tired switching in and off of pcs so heres the scoup. Ive got a total of 4 computers I want to be online at all tiomes, actully 3 but sometimes I put on the 4th one for things but it wont be on much but I need a good router, I mean a solid router that wont break my wallet, I dont mind buying off ebay it just has to be a place in the UNITED STATES!

If someone can help search for an router or knows a good router they ahve on ebay or have at their house that i should buy.

I want to have 3 computers online at all times, but sometimes I will want this 4th one to be online here and then.

Let me know!
__________________

__________________
WARNING: The above comments may be offensive.
Frimon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:09 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default Re: Router

Hey,

I use a Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem/Router....now i know it is a modem as well, but it is the most stable and best thing ive ever used Modem/Router wise, and whats more, its reasonably priced.....below is a link for you....

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...ers/DG834.aspx

Or, as i should have done, you can go for the wireless model of the same router.....which still has 4 ports for wired connections....

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...rs/DG834G.aspx

Hope this helps,

Matt
__________________

Mattyl110792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 198
Default Re: Router

Hey Matt this does help thank you. I am going to confirm with my isp to make sure it works but I think im going to get the bottom one, if it works. Thanks again!
__________________
WARNING: The above comments may be offensive.
Frimon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 198
Default Re: Router

I ended up purchaseing this one;

NETGEAR DM602
__________________
WARNING: The above comments may be offensive.
Frimon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default Re: Router

Hey,

You are aware that the modem you choose is only a single port ethernet, meaning you can only connect one pc to it, not the 4 which you said you will have.....correct me if i'm wrong...

Matt
Mattyl110792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyl110792
Hey,

You are aware that the modem you choose is only a single port ethernet, meaning you can only connect one pc to it, not the 4 which you said you will have.....correct me if i'm wrong...

Matt
Correct....you can't use it with the setup you are wanting to do.

Here are the specs on it:
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DM602

You don't necessarily need a modem and router all in one, since you already have the dsl modem you could just buy a router, wired or wireless, whichever you'd like. But I'd go with something by Linksys, D-Link or even Belkin. Anything but Netgear.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default Re: Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy
Correct....you can't use it with the setup you are wanting to do.

Here are the specs on it:
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DM602

You don't necessarily need a modem and router all in one, since you already have the dsl modem you could just buy a router, wired or wireless, whichever you'd like. But I'd go with something by Linksys, D-Link or even Belkin. Anything but Netgear.
I myself havn't used a Linksys but hear they are good, but D-Link, please stay away at all costs lol.....i went through 3 in one year, and have now had this Netgear for, pushing 2 years without one hiccup..btw im not the only one who has had countless problems with D-Link.

Matt
Mattyl110792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyl110792
I myself havn't used a Linksys but hear they are good, but D-Link, please stay away at all costs lol.....i went through 3 in one year, and have now had this Netgear for, pushing 2 years without one hiccup..btw im not the only one who has had countless problems with D-Link.

Matt
I have been using a Linksys WRT54G for about 2 years now without a problem. I have 2 computers connected wirelessly and a PS2 hard wired. I also use Linksys wireless pci adapters in my computers.

I know people who have D-Link routers and haven't had a problem with them. I guess it's just your personal experience with them.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 198
Default Re: Router

Im with adelphia.net right now and I have a SB4101 SurfBoard Cable Modem, I want to get rid of this baby and get a router, I have 4 computers that I want to be connected at all times, 24/7 through a wireless router.

My internet is where I can talk on the phone at the same time while being on the internet so I need a good router to purchase, I want to stayunder the budgetof $60 if anyone can find me one on ebay or give me the actual name and everyuthings so i can look it up on ebay.

Anyone??
__________________
WARNING: The above comments may be offensive.
Frimon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:30 AM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default Re: Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimon86
Im with adelphia.net right now and I have a SB4101 SurfBoard Cable Modem, I want to get rid of this baby and get a router, I have 4 computers that I want to be connected at all times, 24/7 through a wireless router.

My internet is where I can talk on the phone at the same time while being on the internet so I need a good router to purchase, I want to stayunder the budgetof $60 if anyone can find me one on ebay or give me the actual name and everyuthings so i can look it up on ebay.

Anyone??
Hey,

As i said before, the Netgear DG834G is a nice little wireless modem/router, and is nice for price too...here is a link to the product....remember you will also need to buy wireless Network cards to install in each PC, which will set you back about $40 AUD each pc (i think thats about $25-35 USD but dont quote me).....

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...rs/DG834G.aspx

Matt
__________________

Mattyl110792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0