rogue diallers on broadband

Washington

In Runtime
Is it possible to have a rogue dialler program on a broadband connection???

I have ADSL broadband and still have to click the dial up box to connect. I usually get a connection in about 2 - 3 seconds.

Lately I have been having problems connecting so I went into internet options to check the settings. Now I used to have a 0844 number that would connect me, but now it has .38 in the telephone number box.

I was advised that one of the bonuses of broadband was that a rogue dialler couldnt be used. Now I'm not so sure as something has obviously changed my settings.

Can anybody confirm or deny whether a rogue can be used on broadband?

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure to tell the truth.

On broadband that you don't have to connect to, and so is always connected, this wouldn't be a problem, yet if you have to still put a number in to connect, the problem could still be there.

The trouble with ADSL is the fact that it still has to go through a phone line, so yes, the issue probably is still there :(

As long as you are protected though, it shouldn't be an issue, and no number should change.

If something has though (always double check), phone your provider, or try changing it back to how it was to see if it connects as usual, and do a scan for any threats as to why it has changed.

I hope this helps.

I have used all the usual scans like adaware, spybot, AVG and A2 and nothing has been detected. Everthing is up to date including windows.

Can these diallers just change the phone number you dial up on? I thought that they had to install themselves and so would appear as a seperate connection option. Everything in my settings is exactly the same apart from the actual phone number. Now it just states .38 and thats all, just .38 which is not even a telephone number.

Just dreading the next phone bill!

Yes, I've heard they can just change the number by affecting a setting of some kind, though as ong as your protection is up to date, you should be okay.

Plus, as long as you double check the number each time you sign on to make sure it hasn't changed, you have nothing to worry about.

How do you pay usually by the way? Do you just pay a lump sum every month? And not, by how much you use it?

I pay for the broadband once a month from Tiscali for a set price. The problem will be the phone bill. If I've been connecting at a premium rate for the last few weeks then my phone bill will be through the roof. But most premium rate numbers start with 09 or 00. This just shows .38. Very strange.

I assumed that a dialler couldn't work on a broadband connection so I never went into the settings to check. Always did on dial up and always will do from now on!

Back
Top Bottom