Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 37
Default RJ45 Cables

I need to connect my PC at Uni to the network for use of the broadband and I know that I need an RJ45 to RJ45 cable. But can somebody tell me the difference between a 'crossover' cable and a 'UTP' cable? Which one will I need?


sensesfail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires
setishock's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030

Crossover is for connecting two computers DIRECTLY together without any other gear inbetween. Like a hub or a router. A UTP is for connecting to a hub or router or some other piece of equipment. At the Uni's you're connecting to the network through a hub so you need the standard cable. And for 25' you should not pay more than about 10 to 15 USD.
Oh and since you're going to be using thier network be ready for all kinds of restrictions on where you can go.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0