Is it risky to test componants that may be broken in a new machine?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
Hello, some of you might have read my thread a while ago about how my PC blew up and wouldn't turn on.

So i took it to PC World as i don't have a system to test the componants on and they said they'd do it and tell me which componants i could use.

They're a bunch of ****'s and basically told me "you're computer is knackered so you ought to buy a new one from us", but couldn't tell me which componants were working and which weren't.

Anyway, bottom line is that i don't have enough money to buy a whole new system so i was planning on buying a barebone and putting my CPU, GPU and RAM in it and hoping it worked and, if not, trying to find out why. Also, what are the actual chances that all the componants have died? There is no visible damage on any of them, excluding the HDD which smells horribly burnt out and is definately broken.

I just wondered how risky it is buying a barebone, which i really can't afford to break, and putting potentially broken componants in it?

It really depends on how the component failed. If it fried due to normal wear-and-tear or from heat then you shouldn't need to worry.

However, if it was a short that fried it, it is a little risky but not too bad.

Worse come to worse, you fry the new computer and send it back to the manufacturer for repair and not mention that you tried testing components in the computer.

Anyway, bottom line is that i don't have enough money to buy a whole new system so i was planning on buying a barebone and putting my CPU, GPU and RAM in it and hoping it worked and, if not, trying to find out why. Also, what are the actual chances that all the componants have died?

I just wondered how risky it is buying a barebone, which i really can't afford to break, and putting potentially broken componants in it?

I wouldn't worry about using the old cpu, vid card and ram. If they don't work it shouldn't damage the other parts. Only thing I'd stay away from is using an powersupply which might be broken.

Hello, some of you might have read my thread a while ago about how my PC blew up and wouldn't turn on.

So i took it to PC World as i don't have a system to test the componants on and they said they'd do it and tell me which componants i could use.

They're a bunch of ****'s and basically told me "you're computer is knackered so you ought to buy a new one from us", but couldn't tell me which componants were working and which weren't.

Anyway, bottom line is that i don't have enough money to buy a whole new system so i was planning on buying a barebone and putting my CPU, GPU and RAM in it and hoping it worked and, if not, trying to find out why. Also, what are the actual chances that all the componants have died? There is no visible damage on any of them, excluding the HDD which smells horribly burnt out and is definately broken.

yep pc world usually tell you omething terrible has broken and you need a new one but never what is broken and how much for repair

as for the breakage ,what actually happnes does the computer power on at all .

i wouldnt see any problems with putting broken components in this at all as that is all pc world would have done had they done as you asked , and the number of times i have tested ram that was faulty and my systems still worked so yeah you ought to be ok
the only component i wouldnt go with would be the power supply as someone said above cos it could have sorted or anything but yeah cpu ram and vid card shouldnt cause any problems

Putting possibly broken can damage a computer, but the only very likely part to damage anything is the motherboard. If you are testing PSU's please do not do this in a computer.

Hey, thanks for everyone's replies.

as for the breakage ,what actually happnes does the computer power on at all .

Hehe, there's a thread on this a while back. I swear the weirdest most inexplicable things happen to my computers. Basically i moved the PC from one room to use it for a day, then when i moved it back, plugged it in, and flicked the switch on the wall the PC automatically powered up without pressing the on button. Before i had time to think there was a bit of a crackle on the PC stopped.

The HDD was definately broken; it's circuit board and motor smelt awfully burnt, so i ditched that. Other than that there was no visible damage. Still, the PC wouldn't even turn on, so i assume the motherboard is dead. I've ditched the PSU as i don't trust using it on another PC. I don't know but it was maybe a power surge or something?

Anyway, i think i'm going to try it as i can't afford to buy a whole new computer. These are the componants i have:

Skt 939 Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
1GB 184-Pin PC3200 400Mhz DDR2 RAM
PCI-E nVidia 6600GT GPU

Does anyone know a reasonable small-form-factor barebone, such as those Shuttle ones, which would take these componants. Or at least has on-board VGA so i could use the CPU and RAM?

Thanks again.

im not sure about the mobo but to me it just sounds like you fried the psu. the same happened to me and i got another one fitted. happy times

Hey, thanks for everyone's replies.

Hehe, there's a thread on this a while back. I swear the weirdest most inexplicable things happen to my computers. Basically i moved the PC from one room to use it for a day, then when i moved it back, plugged it in, and flicked the switch on the wall the PC automatically powered up without pressing the on button. Before i had time to think there was a bit of a crackle on the PC stopped.

The HDD was definately broken; it's circuit board and motor smelt awfully burnt, so i ditched that. Other than that there was no visible damage. Still, the PC wouldn't even turn on, so i assume the motherboard is dead. I've ditched the PSU as i don't trust using it on another PC. I don't know but it was maybe a power surge or something?

Anyway, i think i'm going to try it as i can't afford to buy a whole new computer. These are the componants i have:

Skt 939 Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
1GB 184-Pin PC3200 400Mhz DDR2 RAM
PCI-E nVidia 6600GT GPU

Does anyone know a reasonable small-form-factor barebone, such as those Shuttle ones, which would take these componants. Or at least has on-board VGA so i could use the CPU and RAM?

Thanks again.
sounds like a surge to me or some sort of power supply issue , i would go along and get the barebone , , good luck

im not sure about the mobo but to me it just sounds like you fried the psu.

sounds like a surge to me or some sort of power supply issue , i would go along and get the barebone , , good luck

At first i'd hoped it was just the power supply, which i removed immediately. However, as i said, the HDD was completely anihilated; it smelt disgustingly burnt, which makes me think that perhaps some of the other componants may have died?

I can probably get hold of a spare PSU to test the system just without the HDD, is this a good idea or risky? Motherboards don't have any fuses or anything do they, to prevent too much power doing to a componant?

Also, is there any simple way to test componants are working, i suppose there's not unless you've got a base system to use huh? When componants are damaged do they ever look any different or is it mostly internal?

Thanks again.

At first i'd hoped it was just the power supply, which i removed immediately. However, as i said, the HDD was completely anihilated; it smelt disgustingly burnt, which makes me think that perhaps some of the other componants may have died?

I can probably get hold of a spare PSU to test the system just without the HDD, is this a good idea or risky? Motherboards don't have any fuses or anything do they, to prevent too much power doing to a componant?

Also, is there any simple way to test componants are working, i suppose there's not unless you've got a base system to use huh? When componants are damaged do they ever look any different or is it mostly internal?

Thanks again.
well i8 would just get the barebone
o the worst that could happen is the cpu is bad then just buy a new one .

also i dunno about the fuses i think not tho

well if the cpu has a heatspreadr there will be no way of looking at the die to see if that is damaged as for ram does it smell burnt and does the gpu smell burnt

Back
Top Bottom