Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #31
Fully Optimized
 
cavemangrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Let's take a look at the facts real quick. The guy has a ton of money to spend, and he wants the BEST. So let's give him the best. The best, as of august, will be HD4870x2 (He can get 2 and crossfire if he wants), an E3110, 4GB of RAM, and Vista. That's all there is to it. He wants the best, he's got the money, so let's not argue about best bang for the buck because he doesn't seem to care about that (no offense).
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemangrinder View Post
G.skill, OCZ, Crucial are good Ram brands. Also, if you want the "BEST" rig your money can buy, wait for the 4870x2 to come out. If you can't wait, get the 4870 and Xfire them.
__________________

cavemangrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #32
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Let's take a look at the facts real quick. The guy has a ton of money to spend, and he wants the BEST. So let's give him the best. The best, as of august, will be HD4870x2 (He can get 2 and crossfire if he wants), an E3110, 4GB of RAM, and Vista. That's all there is to it. He wants the best, he's got the money, so let's not argue about best bang for the buck because he doesn't seem to care about that (no offense).
um, the E3110 isn't the best money can buy and neither is his motherboard, he needs to be more specific with what he wants, if money is no object, he would probably want to start with getting a different motherboard...

ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP

Case... NZXT Khaos Series CS-NT-LEXA-BLB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

processor... Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache

RAM... OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

HDDs... Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive x2

sound... Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

if I was gonna build a computer and money was no object, that's where I'd start, about $3,500...
__________________

__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #33
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
um, the E3110 isn't the best money can buy
Yeah, that was my mistake lol. I recommend it too much. I personally don't have it but I've seen lots of people with it and it's AMAZING for the cost. Specially when OCed.

@OP If you can hold out till early of next year get the Nehalems =p
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #34
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Yeah, that was my mistake lol. I recommend it too much. I personally don't have it but I've seen lots of people with it and it's AMAZING for the cost. Specially when OCed.

@OP If you can hold out till early of next year get the Nehalems =p
but you shot down my same argument for the 4850...? weird...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #35
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

I was just stopping the argument. Also you highlight part of my quote. That's not the reason I recommended him the CPU, that's the reason of why I recommend the CPU so much. The reason I recommended him the CPU is because I recommend it so much so I just said it automatically. I hope you understand what I just said, I don't mean to offend, but it sounds confusing. I have nothing against the HD4850. I plan on getting one at the end of the year =p
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #36
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

Quote:
I think you're confused, the HD4870X2 is a single card, you don't have to change your motherboard selection, Xfire is not needed, I could run it on my motherboard if I wanted to pay that much for a single
But if he has the chance to swap an Nvidia board for a P45, then he should do it without a second thought.
Quote:
G.skill, OCZ, Crucial are good Ram brands. Also, if you want the "BEST" rig your money can buy, wait for the 4870x2 to come out. If you can't wait, get the 4870 and Xfire them.
Like I said previously, you can't just say one brand is good and one brand is bad. It depends on what goes onto the sticks. For example, G. Skill make some memory with the Micron D9GKX modules, but they also make some with the POS ProMOS modules. @ OP, use this list: http://ramlist.infinityx.nl/ddr2/
Quote:
Mr.Worshipme can you recommend a good RAM??? i really don't know what to look for... and this thing about "Modules", just makes me more confused...
what i want though is a 4gb DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 MHz memory...
Here you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231148 Some of these have the Powerchip modules, which are very good.

And lastly, for anyone wondering, here is a definitive conclusion to how much faster the HD 4870 is compared to the HD 4850:

__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #37
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

So, i went and bought myself a new rig...

here's the specs...

Motherboard- instead of buying a P45 i bought a x48 for future crossfiring.
GPU- I'm going to wait for the new HD4870x2 R700
CPU- Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9770... though some people told me to buy a duo instead, i still think that investing on a quad for future generation games is still a better step to take.
HDD- Hitachi 750GB S-ata2 7200RPM HDD
MEMORY- 4GB 240-PIN PC2-5300 CL5 18c 2x256x4 Registered ECC DDR2-667 DIMM VLP MICRON MODULE

I think i'm going to be a PRO-Intel/AMD fan from now on... I just want August 12 to come faster so i can buy that damned HD4870x2 R700... Till then, I'll be keeping my computer parts in storage... I still have to find a decent computer casing with cooling capabilities... a good PSU... some LCDs and other auxiliary
parts... thanks for the suggestions guys ^^ it really helped me A LOT.
grahf08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #38
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahf08 View Post
So, i went and bought myself a new rig...

here's the specs...

Motherboard- instead of buying a P45 i bought a x48 for future crossfiring.
GPU- I'm going to wait for the new HD4870x2 R700
CPU- Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9770... though some people told me to buy a duo instead, i still think that investing on a quad for future generation games is still a better step to take.
HDD- Hitachi 750GB S-ata2 7200RPM HDD
MEMORY- 4GB 240-PIN PC2-5300 CL5 18c 2x256x4 Registered ECC DDR2-667 DIMM VLP MICRON MODULE

I think i'm going to be a PRO-Intel/AMD fan from now on... I just want August 12 to come faster so i can buy that damned HD4870x2 R700... Till then, I'll be keeping my computer parts in storage... I still have to find a decent computer casing with cooling capabilities... a good PSU... some LCDs and other auxiliary
parts... thanks for the suggestions guys ^^ it really helped me A LOT.
looks good dude, but step up that memory, with the killer system that you'll have, you'll want way higher speeds than that, try at least PC2 6400...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #39
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

guys can you recommend a good LCD screen??? my girlfriend told me not to buy a big one cos it doesn't bode well with the "design" of our bedroom... -.-''
so, yah... pls give me a good quality LCD.. i want the pictures to really pop out when i'm playing games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
looks good dude, but step up that memory, with the killer system that you'll have, you'll want way higher speeds than that, try at least PC2 6400...
yah... i'm having problems about which memory is best for this rig... i guess i'll check other brands and explore more... i'll be buying a new memory next month after paying for the car >.< hahaha

BTW is PC2 6400 the highest memory out there???
grahf08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #40
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
But if he has the chance to swap an Nvidia board for a P45, then he should do it without a second thought.

Like I said previously, you can't just say one brand is good and one brand is bad. It depends on what goes onto the sticks. For example, G. Skill make some memory with the Micron D9GKX modules, but they also make some with the POS ProMOS modules. @ OP, use this list: http://ramlist.infinityx.nl/ddr2/

Here you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231148 Some of these have the Powerchip modules, which are very good.

And lastly, for anyone wondering, here is a definitive conclusion to how much faster the HD 4870 is compared to the HD 4850:

those are some newer benches (or at least ones I haven't seen), do you have a link...? I like to save them in my benches folder...

I still stand by my point, roughly 25% better performance for almost twice the price, I'll keep my 4850 (please be here Monday, please, please...) and overclock it...

__________________

__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0