Review my build

Hey fellas,

It's been a long time since I last posted on this forum, but I thought it was time to pay a visit.

I need to build a computer capable of running scripts in case I need to do work at home. The majority of the code will be MATLAB/Simulink; we're talking fourth order mathematical models and simulations, nothing too crazy. I do not know where my research will take me, but I need as much computing power as $700-800 will get me, just in case things get hairy.

As far as I know, MATLAB has no features that allow the use of GPUs to run code, so the GPU capabilities of this machine are dictated by the few League of Legends games I will be playing here and there. This computer will be hooked up to a 50" TV. I will likely do some streaming in addition to light gaming. I'm interesting in running RAID1 and purchasing a Blu-ray player if funds allow.

Here's what I have so far:

MOBO ($140): ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU ($230): Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

CPU COOLER ($20): Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes

PSU ($140): SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

GPU ($90): MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

HDD ($55): Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

RAM ($83): G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

CASE ($60): Cooler Master HAF 912 - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case

Total: $820 pre-shipping/no rebates

Adding Blu-ray/RAID1 would cost about $100 extra.

Questions

1. 1150 v 1155? Pros/Cons?

2. 3.5GHz Base vs 3.4GHz (3.8 Turbo)?

3. Will Intel HD Graphics 4000 suffice for my needs? If so, I can upgrade the CPU and leave out the GPU.

Please feel free to change things around if you can maintain quality/performance for cheaper price.

Thanks guys.

Jarlmaster is right. Change the motherboard and CPU to what he suggested.
You get a huge performance increase for only 15 bucks more.

About your questions.
1: 1150 is the newer one. It supports Haswell CPU's were the 1055 supports Sandy and Ivy-Bridge CPU's.
2: Not sure what you mean? you are comparing 2 CPU's? which 2.
3: If your need is gaming, then yes, unless it's some old games or games that doesn't require much (like League of Legends).
The dedicated card you have chosen will alow you to play triple A titles. Unfortunately you will be limited to low/mid graphics.

Sure you need a blueray drive?
CD, DVD and Bluray are dying standards.

Last edited:
Joga, it's great to see you! I remember you from when I was very active on here years ago!

I threw something together. Maybe a little against the grain, but I have my reasons.

PC Parts Picker Linkity Link.

Went with no GPU (again, against the grain), thinking, let's get the barebones solid first. Grabbed you an SSD. I can't advocate a 120GB anymore, just based off of how fast they fill up, so I went with the 250GB. I did not include an O/S. Not sure if you're borrowing that from Uncle Torrence, but if not, assume an extra $100 for whatever version you want--W7 or W8.

Also, your PSU is great, but I think it's overkill for the time being and pretty spendy. I think you'll be fine with an Antec or a Corsair. Threw in the BluRay drive for you. I can't agree that it's a dying media, as others have said; I love the fact that I added mine to my system. It provides a great way to backup a lot of data to a physical copy, and allows me to watch BluRays (I don't have a BR player, so that was a nice feature). It's up to you if you want it now or can wait to add it later.

Case is honestly personal preference, so I just threw something in there. Pick what you want, man. You're the one who has to look at it!

(Also, I can't stand buying from 10 different places, so I only included the "big" guys in my parts picker above. Newegg, Amazon, Tiger, BB, and B&H...)

Last edited:
Well fellas, turns out our efforts were in vain. I just found out today that I'll have remote access to a supercomputer. All I need now is a lightweight laptop with high resolution and battery life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Computer Forums mobile app

Well fellas, turns out our efforts were in vain. I just found out today that I'll have remote access to a supercomputer. All I need now is a lightweight laptop with high resolution and battery life.

RDP or something web-based?

RDP or something web-based?

I'm not sure about the details. I was briefly told I'd have access to a supercomputer and that there was no need for me to invest in a high performance machine of my own since it would pale in comparison. I'll let you know more when I find out.

Back
Top Bottom